Author Topic: Am I seeing things?  (Read 3087 times)

Offline jeffp51

Am I seeing things?
« on: May 21, 2019, 12:26:38 pm »
You know when you have been working a piece too long and you stop being able to see it right?  That's where I am with this one.  I am at my desired weight, and I have about 250 arrows through this one now, but I am thinking the bottom limb is a little weak, and I need maybe a scrape or two off the top.  What do you see?

Offline druid

Re: Am I seeing things?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 12:33:43 pm »
Seems that lower limb has some deflex. It means that limb would look more worked in full draw, to seem softer. Upper should look little stiffer than lower, according to unbraced pic. Yes, I think you should scrape a little middle third of upper limb but not too much. It should look just a bit stiffer.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 01:00:35 pm »
my two cents,, how does it shoot,, if great,, then the tiller is ok,,
it does appear braced the bottom limb is a bit weaker,,
at full draw not so much,, so your call,, sometimes on longer bow,, that much difference is not effecting the way it shoots too much,, if you dont mind loosing a bit of weight,, you could scrape the top limb a bit,,
how are the arrows flying,,???

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 01:23:51 pm »
+1 Brad. If  that close it’s a matter of is it shooting well and holding its profile. You can end up scraping away 10 lbs chasing a perceived 1 lb issue.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 01:33:22 pm »
Wow,  I guess I don't see what you guys see.   It almost looks like the bottom fade area is a weee bit stiff at full draw.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 01:42:41 pm »
You could be right. So scrape the bottom limb near fade. Then you will need to scrape the top to even the tiller out. At some point you gotta call them done and this one is awfully close.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 02:10:23 pm »
Invert your picture and you'll see the lower is bending too much.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 02:32:42 pm »
If it shoots well, and no reason why it should not, it's fantastic.
Nicely done.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline okie64

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 02:54:42 pm »
It looks pretty good to me. Bottom limb maybe a tad weak but if it shoots good I’d probably leave it alone.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 03:20:14 pm »
The concern is that the bottom limb is showing the stress and it may increase over time.  Lots of folks are plagued by that.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 03:29:32 pm »
Can you turn it upside down and take another full draw picture?

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 05:19:41 pm »
I think I'm seeing the same issue that Druid addressed. The upper limb needs to bend more going into the tip, not as much of that limb is working as is the lower.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 06:44:25 pm »
The concern is that the bottom limb is showing the stress and it may increase over time.  Lots of folks are plagued by that.

I know I've struggled with avoiding it. Takes some real skill and foresight to end up with a bow that is perfectly balanced in the hand. 

Yours looks pretty good to me though. Maybe just some careful scraping up top...
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline airkah

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 08:33:57 pm »
I agree with you and a lot of people here that the top limb seems slightly stiffer than the bottom. To my eye at full draw it looks like its slightly stiffer in the first few inches out of the fade and thats what is putting the limb at a different angle. I think I am the first one to mention it being slightly stiff there, so I am prepared to be wrong.

I think DC's idea to flip the bow is a good idea, but it looks like the handle is already shaped for the current top limb to remain that way. As far as whether to give it a couple scrapes on that limb (wherever you decide it needs it), its a tough call but I would probably go down that rabbit hole. But then again, I've learned about myself that if I don't take a bow as close to perfect as my skill level allows, It'll end up not getting used.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to do, be it finish the bow up or take a couple scrapes at it.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 09:26:16 pm »
this bow has fought me the whole way.  I tried to get past a knot at one end and ended up getting the last third a bit narrow on both sides, which caused my recurves to pull out more than I wanted and lifted a pretty good splinter on the back.  I backed and wrapped with sinew, which has solved the back problem, I believe, as I have over 200 arrows through it now.  So I made a new fast flight string, as the tillering string I was shooting with was too thick for my arrow knocks, but the new loops were thin and slipping from the temporary knock-grooves, so I added the horn tips I was planning on using, and somewhere in the process the tiller is now a little off.  I hope it holds up and I can clean up the top limb (you all are confirming what I see in the picture) without loosing too much draw weight.  I will probably do a single scraping session and then let it be and deal with it.  It shoots okay, but not as smooth as I would like, there is a little jump in the hand, but that might still be slightly tight arrow knocking not allowing a clean release.