Author Topic: RCrabapple Split Along  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

RCrabapple Split Along
« on: June 26, 2019, 10:30:59 pm »
A stave, a billet, and some firewood! 
https://i.imgur.com/pZ4aSlL_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Lessons learned:  1.  Railroad spikes need a much sharper bevel! >:D. 2.  See #1!  3.  A bigger hammer!  4.  A really big vise!  5.  Crabapple has a mind of it's own!  6.  Get an extra set of hands, with gloves!  7.  Next time, try a different species of wood!  >:D (lol)

Methinks my shoulder will be sore tomorrow!  I ain't 21 anymore!

Luckily, there is a another billet sized stave in the garage to go with this one, maybe!  I hope to display my handiwork at MoJam, just for laughs!  Maybe some advise, as well

I was somewhat lucky getting through a couple of tight knots before the grain ran, though.  The back split didn't work as well as I wanted it to.  The wedge caught a loose part of the grain and didn't separate very well.

MoJam in 3 weeks!  Yee!  Haw!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bassman

Re: RCrabapple Split Along
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 02:29:56 am »
"Crab Apple has a mind of it,s own". Split a  6 inch diameter tree once that looked straight before I split it. .It split OK ,but with in 2 days it twisted so bad it became fire wood.Never tried it again, though some guys have made very nice bows from it.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 05:40:30 am »
It does twist and turn as it dries but you can straighten it like no ther wood, just a breath of heat and it will move for you

Offline bassman

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 07:01:12 am »
Good info. Good to learn some thing new every day.