Author Topic: Some sticks for Stickhead  (Read 8334 times)

Offline jeffp51

Some sticks for Stickhead
« on: May 23, 2019, 11:39:10 pm »
I am working on a trade with Stickhead where my side is a set of 6 matched dogwood arrows.  I told him I would keep him updated on the progress.  Here they are skinned and with the initial heat straightening.  I will go back and forth now between sanding and heat straightening until they are where I want them. my goal is to get them matched to spine and weight. Let's see how close I can get. . .

More to follow.

Offline jeffp51

Re: Some sticks for Stickhead
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 10:56:18 pm »
Here they are (mostly) straightened, cut to length, spined and weighed.  All six are within one pound of spine.  Weight-wise, there are really two groups, since some of my shoots were a lot denser than the others. 

They need one more straightening session, and some self nocks, then some color and finish before the fletching.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 07:55:39 am »
So far, so good!  I have a batch of red osier in the works that seem to be "straight resistant".  They get a recheck and another heat session this week, I hope!  Nice build along!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 03:52:50 am »
Very nice Jeff. I know how much work that takes.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Woodely

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 08:10:16 am »
Just curious;  does it really make much diff. in accuracy say between 420gr. and 460gr.   I think not but I'm no expert.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 07:13:33 am »
inside 20 yards, probably not.  But when I first started shooting and shooting my own arrows,  I wanted to eliminate all the variables I could so that I could work on form without wondering if the arrows were off. So that means keeping weight and spine as close as possible.  Also my perfectionist side really wants to match everything precisely.  Sick way to have fun, I know.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 09:06:37 am »
Im in your corner on the arrows.i would rather have perfect arrows than a perfect bow if i had to make a choice.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 10:12:06 pm »
I am back from my trip to Germany and can work on these arrows again.  here they are stained and crested.  It seems like every time the humidity changes, one of them wants to come un-straightened, so I am still working on that a little.  The self knocks are cut in as well.  They just need a couple more coats of poly spray and some fletchings. Stickhead is going to put his own points on them.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 10:33:32 pm »
Looking good!  Hope to get some work done n mine at MoJam in between shooting, bow building, trading, and all the other things going on!  What sealer/finish do you use?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bassman

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 01:58:21 pm »
Jim Hamm on arrow making."making a well balanced good shooting arrow is an art, plain, and simple". He believes that making the bow is the easy part.You did a wonderful job on those.I am sure stickhead will be well satisfied. good on you.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 09:15:31 am »
Hawk, for these arrows I am using simple wood stain (black walnut, I think) and an oil-based polyurethane spray.  You can see it in the background of my workbench picture.

Jim Hamm was right I think.  One arrow is easy, but matching  multiple arrows can be a challenge at least equal to making a good bow.  Fletchings are next.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 01:17:58 pm »
Here are the finished arrows.  Stickhead will put on his own knapped points.  The finish--stain and cresting and sinew wraps aren't perfect, but aesthetically that is kinda the look I go for--I don't want my stuff to look factory made--instead I think you should be able to see the hand behind the work.  But the spine is at 60# for each shaft, and the weights are close and the work is straight--at least when it went in the box.  My area is really dry, so if the shafts are coming to a humid environment, they might need some re-straightening.

Stickhead promised me he would take a deer with them this season, so I am looking forward to the pictures :OK (SH) :-D

Offline ohma2

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 10:45:03 am »
Realy nice job on those  :OK

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2022, 01:44:37 am »
Stickhead,

did you ever get a deer with these?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2022, 05:25:33 am »
Top notch work on your shoot arrows.I agree there needs to be hand built touch look to them.
A lot of times the difference in mass weight is just whether they are tapered or parrallel and how soon the taper fattens.
Just curious....What was Stickhead trading for them?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed