Author Topic: Goin' Round the Mulberry Bush  (Read 9473 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Goin' Round the Mulberry Bush
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2019, 08:43:57 am »
Ben, I appreciate the kind words, but in fairness it is I who am thankful. I love making bows. Having a forum where I can share and discuss these things is a blessing. Enjoyment, enternaiment, education, and folks that enjoy it along with me. I thank you.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2019, 07:03:55 pm »
Didn't get a lot of time on it today.  I did fix the 2 kinks in the mid limb areas on both limbs.  It had a net 3 inches of reflex, and since it's been braced and tillered on it sets immediately at 2 1/2 inches.  I'm goin slow just to make sure I don't screw it up.  Still tweaking the brace profile, but I think it's close.  Any thoughts appreciated.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2019, 07:16:18 pm »
Its coming along very nicely
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2019, 09:39:21 pm »
  Bob,
          Copied and flipped the pics...Really nice improvement man...I like to play with these pics and watch the evolution...Great work! I see that left fade movement also...
                                                                                                      Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2019, 05:32:06 am »
That really shows the progress, or lack of.  Neat trick Don.  Can I borrow that?  If this were a typical flat bow, I'd be farther down the road.  I'm just slowed to a crawl on this one now.  Partly due to wanting the brace profile spotless, messing with alignment and profile.  But these R/D's are puzzling to me.  I've been looking at Simon's #100 and using that as a model on the brace and tiller profiles.  You won't find a better model.  I think that (the pics done that way) really makes the problems stand out.
The reflex is back up to 3 inches this morning, right where it started.  For accuracy sake, I tempered the belly and added reflex by straightening the mid limb kinks.  That reset the profile, but from there it's been braced, pulled on and scraped.  It measured 2 1/2 inches of reflex last night after taking the string off, and regained the 1/2 inch it lost while unstrung last night.  If I can keep half of that I'll be happy.  Should fling a few arrows this weekend with it.  Unless it snaps in half.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 06:36:53 am by SLIMBOB »

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2019, 11:56:06 am »
To the untrained eye, it would appear that I have made little progress over the last few days, but to the truly observant it is clear that it has been far less than that.  Just moving at a snails pace trying to get the profile spot on before I go much further, but I'm real close...I think.  Starting to side tiller now and narrow it a bit.  Love this wood.
Just a hair under 2 1/2 inches of reflex.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 12:00:04 pm by SLIMBOB »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2019, 01:49:26 pm »
She's looking good. I'd say keep on going but still watch that right side fade. Still has a slightly hingey bend.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2019, 02:25:58 pm »
Thanks Pat.  I will loosen up the outers next and that should catch it up.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2019, 04:12:06 pm »
 Bob,
          Snails pace? Man you been doing some work, to a trained eye, I can appreciate what your doing and posting...Enjoying your builds man...How's the sinew looking? I like your patient approach...
                                                                                                             Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2019, 04:50:26 pm »
Thanks Don.  Sinew looks good.  7 inches of reflex right now, so it's pulled 1 1/2 inches since it was sinewed.
I am patient to some extent.  I want the first brace to be close, so I am patient with the floor tiller.  I want the brace profile near perfect (as close as I can get it) before I start yanking on it.  Other than that my patience wears as thin as anybodies.  Pictures below are full brace of 6 inches and then pulled on the tiller stick to about 15 inches.  I took it to the tiller tree and its 25 lbs at 15 inches.  The handle is starting to flex a bit so I am gonna glue in a piece of Persimmon next. Afraid if I'm not careful about getting it done now it may snap.  Don't want that.
About 1 7/8 inches of reflex.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 04:55:01 pm by SLIMBOB »

Offline DC

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2019, 09:18:20 pm »
It's looking great. I've been away at our Vancouver Island Bowyers Gathering so I didn't see any of this. I just really tired at the moment so I won't comment any more, I'd probably say something stupid ;D.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2019, 03:43:39 am »
Know that feeling DC. Bet it's a good tired though.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2019, 05:32:32 am »
Don't sweat it.  I just figured you were otherwise occupied.  The shape in these R/D's give me fits.  Hope the gathering was a good one.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2019, 09:25:16 am »
Comes along great. Cool work!
When I do bows like this, I work first at the inner mids, then fades and at least reduce the outers (to prevent opening up).

Best tool is patience in this stadium
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline DC

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2019, 09:53:17 am »
One thing I have found with RD's is that in order to keep lots of reflex you have to use a hard backing or be lucky. I've only had one RD selfbow maintain a decent amount of total reflex. So don't be too surprised if some or all of the the reflex pulls out. Because of the deflex the middle of the bow should look like it's bending a little too much and because of the reflex the outers should look like they aren't bending quite enough. This is compared to a straight bow. How much different it looks than a straight bow depends on how much deflex and reflex you have. It's a judgement call. Getting the limbs to bend the same is obviously important. As to what the full draw looks like, I think every RD is going to be different. If you can, go through Marc's posted bows and try to find one that looks similar to yours unbraced, then just make it look like his full draw. Easy ;D ;D ;D That's how I do it :D

PS If anyone disagrees with me please post with the how and why. I'm still trying to sort this all out myself.