Author Topic: scales---accuracy  (Read 6835 times)

radius

scales---accuracy
« on: April 10, 2008, 02:27:46 am »
 ??? ??? ???

In TBB1, there is a picture of Jim Hamm ( I think) tillering a bow with a bathroom scale.  Does anyone else do this?  I bought one yesterday and pulled what I thought was a 65 # hickory bow to 28 inches, only to find it read 80#!!!  Also, I pulled the yew holmegaard which I have posted another thread about, and it came up at 45# +/- ...now, i've got a good strong back, but these bows just feel lighter than that to me...

Does anyone use these bathroom scales this way?  Are they reliable?

Thanks.

radius

Re: scales---accuracy
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 03:07:32 am »
never mind...i think it's because i had the thing on the carpet instead of the solid floor.... ::)

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 10:29:30 am »
It will work if you calibrate it first with an object of known weight, I use dumbell weights for example. Or even if its offafew pounds consistently then add/subtract as needed. Good luck
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline John K

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 12:12:49 pm »
I use one, it works for me, like Tracy said calibrate it first with a knowen weight.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 12:22:21 pm »
I can get on the scale and it says 210 then in two minutes it says 206 or 212. I would buy a cheap bow scale first.  Especially since you can use the other on a tillering tree not a stick. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 12:38:47 pm »
I only use a scale for reference. I make all bows comfortable for me(usually around 55#@26") I have been told that my scale reads low anyway. :o I guess I'm stronger than I realized! ;D  If you are selling bows, you need to know exactly what you are selling and the buyer needs to know what he's buying but other than that I don't think it is critical to know exactly what your bow weight is...as long as it is a legal weight for hunting in your area.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC