Author Topic: River Cane Arrows Opinions and advice  (Read 6632 times)

Offline Emiliodeluna

River Cane Arrows Opinions and advice
« on: May 28, 2019, 05:31:04 pm »
After being a rifle hunter all my life and not missing a shot since i was 16 (49 now) i simply got bored and lost interest so i decided to try bow hunting for the challenge and after doing my research i decided on traditional bow hunting but leaning on the primitive side. I will be hunting on public hunting land and chasing mainly eating size hogs and will be stalking in very thick brush. Now my setup, i bought a custom bow from Ryan Gill at https://gillsprimitivearchery.com/ with a set of his river cane arrows tipped with stone points. The bow is one of his Speed Goat bows and it’s 53in long and pulls #50 at 23 inches with a max pull of 24 inches for a few more #s. The arrows are 30.25 inches long with 80gr stone tips and an average total weight of about 462.5grains and all weigh within 16 grains of each other, they have a FOC of 9.9 to 13.3 and a GPP 9.25 +/-. I also purchased a second set of six arrows with field tips that matches the stone tipped set with field tips for practice.  I am completely new at this but have been practicing for one year in my backyard at exactly 15yds and want to be ready to hunt this fall.  My draw is 29 inches so I’m short drawing this bow so any tips advise and opinions will be great and also advise on how to get more accurate will be greatly appreciated I’m currently grouping at about 8-10 inches.  Also what woodies can i purchase for this setup I’m trying to keep it as traditional as possible so no carbons and I will have to order my arrows since I’m not making my arrows yet so any advice on weight length FOC Broadheads fletching etc will also be appreciated and of course any suggestions on a custom arrow maker too.  Thanks

Offline Sticks

Re: River Cane Arrows Opinions and advice
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 07:31:18 pm »
For consistent accuracy you need a consistent anchor point.You should practice for consistent forum.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 02:26:44 am »
You have certainly increased the difficulty level of your hunting. Good luck. If you are going to limit your shots to 15 yds and closer, I think you can become proficient at the practice butt with a floating anchor. If you get real accomplished you might get lucky in the hunting grounds. Getting close is a whole new game. Enjoy.

There are lots of folks that sell complete wood arrows. Find some local and he will be able to fix you up. 3 Rivers will also help you on th phone to match things up good for any type arrow.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 08:17:53 pm »
Welcome to PA! Dont know alot about rivercane but you chose the right kond of archery!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Emiliodeluna

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 10:21:18 pm »
Thanks for the welcoming this is my first post as well, i will also post some things i would like to trade i will put together a package i have a couple of seasoned osage staves and a couple of black locust staves plus a bunch of unprocessed dear leg sinew plus some other stuff I’ll be putting together a nice package together and see what i could trade for, possibly a bow out of one if the staves but we’ll see.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 10:58:10 pm »
Emilio,
Welcome aboard!  These folks know more than a lot about primitive archery and will share!  Personally, I believe the short draw is very hard to adapt to, but a new shooter may pick it up quickly, as there are no other habits to retrain.  I have only shot full draw for at least 70 years, so I am biased.  Your trade package idea sounds good, and one of the more experienced folks may take you up on it.  What the heck - you got a stave!  Make your own bow!  That way you know who to blame if it breaks :BB (--)!  I did.  The folks here will walk you through it, and some may be in your area!  The next big gathering is MoJam in Marshall, MO about 18 Jul.   it is a good time and you can put faces to names!  Some of us even have signs!  Btw, I am a bit of a newbie, too!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 04:43:04 am »
Why didn't you buy a bow closer to your draw length? I think you would be more comfortable and consistent with a bow you felt good with. But, like Hawk said maybe you will pick up shooting short draw quicker without muscle memory.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 06:08:04 am »
As Ryan gill will tell you, as well as others you dont need to draw and anchor to hit your target and be deadly accurate! You can just shoot the same everytime. If your short drawing then your instinctive shooting right? Remember when your out hunting your first shot is the most important and learning to shoot cold (as in your first shot of the day). I'd say that is more important than being able to shoot say 6 arrows in a 4in group from 20 yards. Just my 2 cents. ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 06:35:36 am »
If I can shoot three hogs I'd like to hit all three with good shots.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 09:29:41 am »
It does seem like a longer draw length bow might have been a good idea for a costum bow. However there are a few advantages to a shorter bow in the brush. You might find the length of the arrows clumsier than the bow.

I have a really good buddy who should shoot around a 27" draw maybe even a little more. He likes a short draw though. He anchors his wrist to his chin. It really it easier to get to that draw length when your in odd positions and he has the arrow right I front of his eye. You might try playing around with a anchor of your chin against a certain spot on you hand, wrists or arm.
As for rivercane I really like it. Straightens nice and stays that way.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 01:41:08 pm »
Wait hawk! Your a newbie! Your so good at this though!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Emiliodeluna

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 07:39:40 pm »
First of all thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, going for a “shorty” was a conscious decision because i really enjoyed it when i did fair chase hunting for hogs with an open sight model 94 so since i still have some gas in the tank i want to keep doing it until age catches up with me and get stuck in a blind, i appreciate everyone’s advice and trust me i reread all of them, now this been an arrow thread i need the gurus to share their expert advice on my arrows or do i need something else?
Once again a thanks for all the responses

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 10:08:26 pm »
Old is 40 years older than I'm ever going to be! 
Deer hunter, I just turned out my first self bow, last year, got it shooting at MoJam!  Finished the decorating in the fall.  I do have a couple more years on you, that's all!  Maybe like 60 or so! >:D (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Emiliodeluna

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 10:51:02 pm »
Hawk, I am now seriously contemplating taking your advice and build my first bow, i do have all the tools plus the reason i bought those staves and two if each was to practice on one and have a backup just incase i screw it up, I’m thinking starting with the black locust and making a cherokee D bow because of its simplicity then move to a different style bow with the osage staves. Again I’m open to suggestions and advice. What did you build?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 09:01:47 am »
Emiliodeluna. What type of arrow flight do you get? Do they fishtail or spiral? Usually a little longer arrows like your using straighten out quicker than shorter arrows. I usually shoot my arrows without fletching to see how they fly. from about six yards. I want them to straighten out without any fletching. if they fly with the tail of arrow sideways to the right they are to stiff. that's for a right hand shooter. if they fly sideways with tail to the left they are to weak. If their weak you can shorten shaft a little at a time till you get good flight or use a lighter point. If they are to stiff you can add point weight, file sides of shaft to weaken it or use same spine but longer shaft. many things can effect arrow flight though. Release, short or long drawing, width of handle, even the type of string you use. Like any other thing in archery, the most important thing is consistency. you need consistent anchor or at least drawing to same weight every time with a smooth release. then you can tune your arrows to the bow as I described. good luck and happy hunting. I think good arrow flight is really important the way I hunt. I like a very close shot and want my arrow to straighten out very quickly for good penetration. I hope you try making your own bow. there's nothing like going to the woods with your bow, but I really think you will enjoy the challenge of this style of hunting even with one you didn't build. I started hunting with mine just to see if I could. I found out I can. Now I'm to the point I'd really like to take one with one of my fellow PA bowyers bows.

bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise