Author Topic: River Cane Arrows Opinions and advice  (Read 6685 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: River Cane Arrows Opinions and advice
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2019, 09:18:50 am »
Hawk, I am now seriously contemplating taking your advice and build my first bow, i do have all the tools plus the reason i bought those staves and two if each was to practice on one and have a backup just incase i screw it up, I’m thinking starting with the black locust and making a cherokee D bow because of its simplicity then move to a different style bow with the osage staves. Again I’m open to suggestions and advice. What did you build?
x
Built a hickory using "The Bent Stick" specs for beginners!  66" tip to tip, 45# @ 26", and decorated with the Meare Heath rawhide wrap over green background and spirals and ogham writing.  The bow shoots better than I do.  Posted it earlier in the spring.  Got a lot of help from a local bowyer and the guys at MoJam just summer.  I'm slowly working a piece of Osage now for my wife.  Read the Bowyers Bibles, 1-4, Bent Stick, Al Herrin's "Cherokee Bows and Arrows", and Jim Hamm's "Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans"(?)

Take your time and ask questions, post lots of pics, these folks will offer advice!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Emiliodeluna

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2019, 04:41:32 pm »
Bjrogg hello, i tried posting a slow-mo video of my arrow flight but it would not load anyways in my opinion they are doing everything correctly, i also GoProed myself and found my pull is not consistent si i put a clicker on the bow and see if that helps close my group, now I’m concerned that at 9.25 GPP that my arrows are to light for hogs.

Offline Emiliodeluna

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2019, 04:46:38 pm »
Hawk hello, i do have Bowyers Bible 1 and Cherokees Bows and Arrows, i will purchase The Bent Stick and give it a try on one of the locust staves.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2019, 01:28:12 pm »
Bjrogg hello, i tried posting a slow-mo video of my arrow flight but it would not load anyways in my opinion they are doing everything correctly, i also GoProed myself and found my pull is not consistent si i put a clicker on the bow and see if that helps close my group, now I’m concerned that at 9.25 GPP that my arrows are to light for hogs.

I'm guessing Ryan has taken hogs with that combination before. Good arrow flight and placement. Nice sharp point. Pork Chops.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2019, 09:56:06 pm »
SP & SP !  Sharp point and Shot Placement!  Hit the vital area and you make meat!  I can't give any other hunting advice, but for hogs, I think I would also carry my .41 magnum for back up just in case!
(If legal, of course) I'm too slow to get out of the critter's way if it decides it wants to head my way.
Practice a lot, and correctly!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

gutpile

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 06:59:56 am »
rivercane is very forgiving in spine..if they fly well you should be good.. Ryan builds good bows and arrows... as for hogs... hit them further back if you can.. do not attempt shoulder shot... bottom line..if you can wait till quartering shot go in behind last rib and your golden... gut

gutpile

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 07:01:02 am »
also arrows are not too light...