Author Topic: Working Bases  (Read 226 times)

Offline Ryan Jacob

Working Bases
« on: May 30, 2019, 12:25:14 am »
I really hate working the bases of anything I knap, itís way too stressful. Iím thinking, should I thin the base before the sides? But when I do that, thereís so much meat left on the piece that I have to hit harder than normal and itís also harder to control. Whatís your method?
Making is just almost-breaking.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Working Bases
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 10:09:15 am »
I hate bases to. My method is usually hit it and snap my blade in two or three pieces.lol seriously I usually try  to keep thinning base and point a little more than the rest of blade. If I wait till after I thin sides I usually snap them trying to thin base.
I'm open to suggestions though cause I really ain't that good. Still have a lot to learn in the knapping area. I can make a sharp pointy object though.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Deerhunter21

Re: Working Bases
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 10:42:57 am »
I the person that taught me had the same view as bj. I thin the base then the tip and then I follow from the tips to the base and do some fine tuning. Keep in mind though that I started last Saturday and I can barely thin the point enough to haft it.
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money." Cree Native-American Proverb

A amature practices untill he gets it right. A master practices untill he never gets it wrong.