Author Topic: White Knight  (Read 2897 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
White Knight
« on: May 30, 2019, 11:16:41 am »
It's been awhile since I did any knapping. I got some stone from Frank at Marshall and a couple copper boppers from Steve. I got the urge to knock the dust off last night. I hate these long ones. Seems like I always snap them in two or three pieces. I tried not to let that happen on this one. It's not my finest work but it's respectable. Even more importantly it's still one piece. I'm thinking I'm going to wrap handle area with something yet. Never did one like this before. I think Frank said this was milk glass. It was a broken countertop at any rate. Worked ok.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: White Knight
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 01:35:50 pm »
Nice one bj! Its beautiful! Was Steve the one selling all the knives and tools and frank the one with the rocks on the tarp?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 01:53:59 pm »
Yes Russell. Steve sells the finished product. He's a really nice guy. He's always willing to sit down with someone and show them a few things. He does nice work and honestly I think his prices are very reasonable. I like the look of his stuff. We kinda have the same likes.

Frank is the fella who sells the stone and staves. He's all right. I got to know him pretty good now.

All I can say is this knapping stuff can be a bit tricky. It's much easier to know what your supposed to do than it is to do it. I really respect the guys like 1442. Their on a whole different level than me. We all still break points, but theirs a a lot nicer than mine when they break em. I'm basically self taught. I've watched some YouTube but that's about it. I know there are lot of little tricks I'd like to learn. A really big thing is setting up platforms. Then hitting them in the right spot at the right angle and in the right direction. And hitting them hard enough to make the flake travel far enough it doesn't step.
Bjrogg

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 02:46:15 pm »
BJ, nice lookin blade, looks like carra glass.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 03:06:50 pm »
Thanks Outback. I just got off the phone with Frank. We had a nice visit. I sent him some pictures and he sent me some. Really missing everyone already
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 03:09:24 pm »
See if this picture posts
Bjrogg

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 03:26:20 am »
cool looking blade.
I really prefer the look of the opaque glass to transparent.
Normally milk glass is transparent clear glass layered with a thin white opaque.

Offline 1442

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 03:20:14 pm »
Dang BJ, your plate looks empty.
White knight is a fine looking knife.
I'm sure that if you knapped a third as much as I do, you would be turning out better stuff than I do with my crash dummy inspired style of knapping.
You have fleshed and tanned deer hides, made bows and arrows, built a man cave and a million other things. My hides are still waiting to be scraped, my bow staves are still in the corner and I'm almost out of arrows. :-K

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 06:40:04 pm »
Thanks 1442. I really do like to try everything. You are on a different level than me for knapping. I very much respect your work. It is right on the edge and I love the way you just keep pushing yourself to another level. Your just not afraid to try that flute from base to tip. You really understand your materials and what you can get out of them. You show us the ones that snap or break a ear off. I'm happy I can do what I do. Make sharp pointy things.lol  I have learned a lot and have certainly improved. I'm happy.
I'm really glad your here though. Your contributions are inspirational.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 09:08:24 am »
Dang BJ, your plate looks empty.

Haha. Didn't notice that at first. My belly is full though. Kinda looks like I'm checking out Steve's plate though.lol.
Bjrogg
PS thanks B2W

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 10:04:48 am »
cool blade BJ. love the shape
I'd try to make a simple painted pitch handle like you find in australian aborigenal blades
the black pitch and the white of the blade should create a nice contrast