Author Topic: Suggestions for Wyoming trip?  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Azmdted

Suggestions for Wyoming trip?
« on: May 30, 2019, 05:04:08 pm »
Hi,

Sunday I leave for my 60th birthday present to myself trip.  Been looking forward to this for a couple years.   We fly into Salt Lake then drive I 80 and up to Casper. Planning to stop at Ft Bridger to check it out.  Next day is on to Black Hills and Mt Rushmore. Two nights there, then on to Sheridan with a stop at the Tower, though I expect it to be closed in June.  Two nights in Cody to hit the museums, do some rafting, etc.  Three nights in Yellowstone, then the last two in Jackson Hole. On the way back to SLC will swing by the Museum of the Mountain Man.

So, any must see sights relevant to this forum along that route I might miss?  Any good patches to collect some arrow shoots along the way or even some billets or staves either through a seller, or through manual labor?  Even some leads on flint would be nice.  I get extra enjoyment out of collecting supplies in the area native to the style of the replica I want to make.

Thanks in advance. I know it might be odd to ask, but I figured it’s best to ask now than kick myself later. 

Ted

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Suggestions for Wyoming trip?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 10:34:02 pm »
Casper is about 8-10 hours from Salt Lake, Black Hills about 1 1/2 hours or so from Casper.  You may contact JW, or jimmi the sammi, that is their territory.  Most of Wyoming is above 5,000 ft asl, take your time moving around.  There is(was) a nice pub in Sheridan called the Green Mint(?) on the Main Street downtown, very old cowboy bar!  Chris Ledoux museum in Kaycee, Buffalo is the home town of my former A team executive officer! >:D.   Crazy Woman Creek is south of there.  May be some sites from the Johnson County War, and the Little Big Horn Battle site is north of Sheridan, just into Montana.  Do try to go on a sunny day, and watch for rattlesnakes!  Distances in Wyoming are measured in 6 packs, not miles! >:D (lol). Devils Tower Monument should be open.  There is a nice winery just north of Mt Rushmore about 10 miles!  Lots of places to leave your money!  Have a safe trip!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 10:36:46 pm »
Forgot, there is a wild cowboy bar in Exansville(?), just outside of Casper!  And watch out for deer on the road if you are driving towards evening!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Azmdted

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 08:00:46 am »
Thanks Jerry.  If A Team XO means what I know it to mean, then thank you for your service.