Author Topic: Vice repairs  (Read 1837 times)

Offline DLH

Vice repairs
« on: May 31, 2019, 10:47:07 am »
I have found this vice I think it’s a Wilton bullet nose. It is cracked in the throat and won’t tighten. Do you think it can be welded and fixed? Best I can find is if it’s cast iron it don’t lend itself to welding very well. I would like to have a bullet nose and this seems to be the cheapest option.

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Vice repairs
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 11:05:37 am »
Daniel...a good welder can weld a casting.  I dought it's "cast iron"  I'd be concerned how much heat goes into it and warpage. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 12:09:46 pm »
That can be welded. My concern would be how much the heat distorts the threads. Its worth a shot for the right price.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DLH

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 01:23:22 pm »
The guy wants $80 bucks for it which is more than I'm willing to pay but he's been sitting on it for awhile now. I think he may come down eventually what do you think would be a decent offer for it? I hate to do $80 if its not even serviceable yet. What kind of welding would you do some DC rods and a car battery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 03:30:09 pm »
According to a friend who welds up cast iron pots and pans, he heats them red hot with a torch. and then welds them.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 06:40:01 pm »
in my opinion that crack can be fixed.
it can be ground out heated  and stick welded with high nickel rod or tig brazed with a high nickel or stainless rod.
$80 sounds a bit steep for a broken vise that's scrap unless someone has the skill or pays someone who has the skill to properly repair.