Author Topic: fluted slab point  (Read 2215 times)

Offline 1442

fluted slab point
« on: June 01, 2019, 03:27:24 pm »
this was a georgetown slab preform I decided to work on and take a break from the big rocks.

Offline 1442

Re: fluted slab point
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 03:37:42 pm »
that first flute went farther than I actually was planning for it to. I tried to make the second one the same length but it stopped a bit short of the finish line drawn there on the point. I need another hand to try touching  a finger right on the stop line.
That may become a missing finger in line with the flute like that when the channel flake goes by at two million MPH.

heres the second flute then the finished point.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 07:14:29 pm »
Wow! That's pretty! I'm excited to see what you'll do in the Pith! I'll be lucky if I can get two signable points!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 05:31:34 am »
Thank for posting 1442. I see you don't zig zag from the center of edge first pass. You raise centerline towards each side your removing flakes from. I'm thinking your trying not to make really long flakes that pass to? Also see you've already got your base and point thinned down pretty good before you do rest off edge. I'm thinking you'll try longer flakes second pass using the small ridges you created the first pass. I think one of my problems is I make my first pass flakes to close together and don't give myself that nice of a ridge for second pass.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 09:49:02 pm »
Wow, you just knock them out great.
I had to make a break, cause my hands were hurting and tiered. Not used to the tools. Also the bobbers made some nasty blue- violett spots on my upper leg....
I guess with some proper techniqu this will become better?

Offline 1442

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 06:04:47 am »
Thanks y'all
BJ there is a video on my you tube channel how I knap a slab. Search for "youtube channel Stone hook"
I'll do some process pics this evening with some process descriptions to explain it.
Thanks Deerhunter, You can do it. Have fun and don't stress over it.
B2W I have always had a tender leg and keep it well padded