Author Topic: village blacksmith machetes?  (Read 2931 times)

Offline dylanholderman

village blacksmith machetes?
« on: June 02, 2019, 10:27:29 am »
hey guys thought id post these here to see if anybody can tell me more about them.
they belonged to my grandfather who passed away before i was born and would have been used on his farm, the one clearly has a replacement handle and was probably used by other people later after the farm was turned into a tree farm.

all iv'e been able to find on the company was that they were in business from 1900 to the 1960s

i plan on doing new handles and sharpening the blade back into working order unless someone tells me it's a bad idea.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: village blacksmith machetes?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 11:17:56 am »
Is that an axe handle on the one?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 12:47:11 pm »
that's what it looks like to me too, either he cut it down to fit or he had a broken one he re purposed for it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 01:59:05 pm »
Christmas tree farmers use a similar blades to shape the Christmas trees once the candles(new growth) has matures by a long sweeping cut from top to bottom.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 02:54:39 pm »
that's what it looks like to me too, either he cut it down to fit or he had a broken one he re purposed for it.

I'm guessing he cut down a broken handle.  They were resourceful back then. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 05:20:35 am »
Those would be neat to restore and keep as a family heirloom.

I restored my dads froe and drawknife after he died.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 07:10:02 am »
Dylan,
Machetes are way cool. I would put them back to work.
Eric,
Nice job on the restorations. The fro is real nice. Kinda hard to find them around here.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 09:25:50 am »
Those would be neat to restore and keep as a family heirloom.

I restored my dads froe and drawknife after he died.

Nice work!
What all did you do to restore the blades?

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 09:27:48 am »
Christmas tree farmers use a similar blades to shape the Christmas trees once the candles(new growth) has matures by a long sweeping cut from top to bottom.

It probably was used that way but I think it’s a bit on the heavy end for that use, they had one blade on the farm that was made specifically for tree trimming and it was longer and lighter in weight.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 10:54:31 pm »
Likely a brush cutter, and a broken axe handle, cut down and fitted.  Most definitely restore the blades and try to keep the patina on the handles if they are serviceable, adds to the authenticity!  Family heirlooms are important items!
Eric,
Is it better for a froe to be straight or a have a slight curve?  I rough cut one from a truck spring and still need to bevel it and Put a handle on.  I expect to keep a bucket of water by the grinder to keep it cool!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 05:46:47 am »
I just removed the rust but left the patina, oiled the blade and put a new osage handle in the froe.

I have never see a curved blade on a froe all have been straight. The one I restored was made from a car leaf spring.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 10:42:19 am »
I just removed the rust but left the patina, oiled the blade and put a new osage handle in the froe.

I have never see a curved blade on a froe all have been straight. The one I restored was made from a car leaf spring.
Don't want to steal the thread, but mine is also from a leaf spring!  I will move my other questions to a new thread, either Around the Campfire odd At the Forge.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry