Author Topic: Archery Club New Shooters ?  (Read 1739 times)

Offline TomKatt

Archery Club New Shooters ?
« on: June 04, 2019, 07:25:41 am »
  Any ideas to get new people involved  ?  We have a shoot the  first sun every month and the range is set up on sat. was thinking that we could have a intro to archery for kids and any others people with loaned equipment for a few hours on sat. to get more people to try archery any other ideas ?  I know that it is a lot of work putting on a shoot and wonder how some of the other clubs do such a great job with a great turn out. I know that there are a lot of others but just 2 that I have been to this year (Twin Oaks and Baltimore ) the work that was put in to the events is greatly appreciated , How do you do it?
 We are at 30 members and its all the old guys setting up and cleaning up. 

Thanks Tom

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Archery Club New Shooters ?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 10:03:47 am »
Advertise!  Recruit!  Spread the word!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Woodely

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 08:26:14 pm »
Watch some Robin Hood flics  or "Hunger Games" it can inspire some.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 03:39:25 am »
Just a thought, don't know if it'd work. Maybe invite some groups that already have youth involved. Try inviting 4-H, Cub Scout, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Church Youth Groups and so on. I've been involved in helping with some of these groups and honestly, we look for stuff like this to do with the kids. Could be a very beneficial relationship for everyone.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 04:55:25 am »
I belong to a handful of archery clubs and I see that the Michigan Longbow Association has the recipe for drawing the young archers. Maybe go to their facebook page a review their posts to get an idea.  They are very successful at it.

As far as work at clubs.  The same 10% do 90 % of the work. That is just the way it is.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 05:13:47 am »
We only have 18 members and most old guys like me, it gets a little tougher every year but we just start earlier and get it done a little slower. We let the kids shoot free so that helps but what we have found is put on the best event you can, let the folks know we are doing this for there pleasure and not for us and over time the word spreads , if we are doing a 1 day shoot we never do it on Sunday, of course we live in the Bible belt  ;) :) so Sunday most are doing other things. Not sure how to tell folks how to grow and event, we started the Classic 22 years ago and had 34 shooters, it has grown every year and last year over 600 and lots of kids so that is encouraging for us. We also try and set the kids distance so they can hit the target and some kind of back stop so they don't loose arrows. Good luck with your shoot and just do the very best you can and it will show,people see and appreciate that and will spread the word. Also be friendly and try and speak to everyone, I had a lady tell me what she like about us is that we treated them like family not like a customer.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Woodely

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 07:48:30 pm »

As far as work at clubs.  The same 10% do 90 % of the work. That is just the way it is.
Yep it does seem that way.  I think it would help more if they spent a couple bucks, and some clubs have lots of money to promote more and do more fun shoots at the club, having good food, ya like good food not dogs and burgers.  The old saying goes you have to spend money to get anywhere.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."