Author Topic: Can I use this, and if so, how?  (Read 2730 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Can I use this, and if so, how?
« on: June 06, 2019, 02:07:51 pm »
This bamboo is trying to escape by burrowing through the bottom of its tub, there's a warning there, currently shooting to about 6feet in height, nodes about 6inch apart, thick wall with very small central space, shoots are about 3/5 at their base.  Is it useful for arrows  and if it is any good, how long do I need to season it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Can I use this, and if so, how?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 04:21:34 pm »
If it is of size it will make arrows. To dry cane I bundle the culms with rubber bands and after a month or so they should be ready to work. Some folks will hand straighten it every few days while it seasons.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 12:42:06 am »
Roughly, what thickness at centre should I be looking for - I've never even seen a bamboo shafted arrow - I'll be making a variety of  shafts for bows from 30# to 45#

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 05:13:58 am »
My hill cane arrows are 3/8" at the point and 5/16" at the nock on a 30" arrow. They shoot from bows 45# to about 65# bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 08:50:57 am »
My hill cane arrows are 3/8" at the point and 5/16" at the nock on a 30" arrow. They shoot from bows 45# to about 65# bows.

That sounds like the same size as my garden centre boo arrows. My home grown boo shafts are slightly bigger but that may be because I harvested too soon.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 02:38:27 am »

That sounds like the same size as my garden centre boo arrows. My home grown boo shafts are slightly bigger but that may be because I harvested too soon.
[/quote

"Too soon" ? When should you harvest? I harvested these this morning
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 03:57:11 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 08:12:21 am »
I've been told that the canes should be two years old. I got antsy and harvested mine in the fall of the second year. They seem to grow to full diameter in the first year and then the wall thickens in the second. My clump is getting too big so this fall it gets the chop. Apparently that will take me the rest of my life ;D ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 09:03:58 am »
Like DC said after the second growing season, once the culms have matured.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 10:39:31 am »
Thanks guys, these are a few years old with really thick walls