Author Topic: Hafting a Knive Blade to antler????  (Read 17255 times)

eddy8888

Hafting a Knive Blade to antler????
« on: April 10, 2008, 10:07:13 pm »
Anyone every done it ,, that works???

I have the blade and antler, but cant find any articials on how to cut of the wedge and glue it in place ....

Thanks

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Hafting a Knive Blade to antler????
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 10:20:56 pm »
I did a few eddy, not the primitive way but got the job done anyhow :). I happen to have a band saw handy - I imagine a file will work with a little more time. Cut the notch into the end of your antler then glue the blade in. I used TBIII mixed with sawdust, not that it matters and artificial sinew - cause I hadn't collected any real stuff yet. Gut works good too, just ask Yankeemongiat ;).

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 11:29:57 pm »
were you mountin that deer and had the cape or is that how ya guys skin your deer in texas? :)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 11:41:24 pm »
were you mountin that deer and had the cape or is that how ya guys skin your deer in texas? :)

Ohh....Yer one a dem Funny Guys....eh!!!

Try Gut and Hide Glue....works great....and if you dont have any Pine Pitch....what Cowboy mentioned....works great too for bedding the Blade....Now that I have some Backstrap Sinew again....I may stop with the Gut....but it really is fast and shrinks good when it dries....so it works as good as Sinew....and is about 5 times as fast to apply too.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 12:11:52 am »
take the piece of antler that you are going to use for handle and boil it until center is soft, then use a flattened antler tine or rib bone,or even a flint drill and drillinto the center of the antler ...should be nice and soft now...
cut off as much antler you need to ensure good fit and a longer tang...
then press the blade down into the the antler handle while it is still rather soft...
then wait till dry.
this will be a SUPER STRONG FIT, but then you can fancy it up with some pitch glue and sinew and should be just fine.
thats one abo way.
mbg

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 10:55:16 am »
That sounds good mbg, haven't thought up any abo ways of doin it - will store that in my memory banks :). No hunter, I would like to have the hide in one peice usually - but that was my brother's buck and he wanted it on the wall ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

eddy8888

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 04:24:16 pm »
Thanks for all the different ways and materials to do it.

I will use a band saw to cut the antler and I have hide glue and artifical stuff for this one.

Eddy

Offline Cromm

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 06:59:14 pm »
Show photo's when done!!!!!! >:D ;D
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 01:47:27 am »
Good post guys.  I've got an obsidian blade (actually half of one that I broke) that I've been waiting to stick on a antler handle. 

If a guy doesn't have any pine trees for pitch, will pine tar (like you use on a baseball bat) work with charcoal? 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 02:34:44 am »
Good post guys.  I've got an obsidian blade (actually half of one that I broke) that I've been waiting to stick on a antler handle. 

If a guy doesn't have any pine trees for pitch, will pine tar (like you use on a baseball bat) work with charcoal? 

Mike

Sure will Mike....this is the thick Tar ...correct?? 4 parts Pine tar to 1 Part ground Charcoal
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 08:09:50 am »
Where do you buy pine tar??? Can't say I've seen it before.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 03:41:38 pm »
Where do you buy pine tar??? Can't say I've seen it before.

Try Pinehollowlongbows....or Threerivers
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 03:49:22 pm »
3rivers has pine pitch in little tins....
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 03:50:20 pm »
And I beleive that Pinehollow has it on a Stick....like a Slo-Poke Sucker!!! >:D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 05:25:02 pm »
i figured you were capin er out. my dad does taxidermy and i know about capin and it looks like you do it right. ;D for cuttin the hide at the right place.
Modern Day Tramp