Author Topic: Hafting a Knive Blade to antler????  (Read 17319 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Re: Hafting a Knive Blade to antler????
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 01:53:49 am »
Since they use pine tar on baseball bats (wooden) I just assumed you could get it from a sporting goods store.  I'd never tried them before but thought I'd give it try.  ::)

Hey Yankee I saw a guy make pine pitch glue and he used one part pitch, one part charcoal and one part dried manure (he stressed it had to be from a herbivore).  Not sure what the manure is for.   :-\

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

buck1

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 02:09:03 am »
I have alot of pine rosin for sale if you need some! cheaper than all the suppliers that I know of! Thnks Buck

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 02:11:12 am »
Since they use pine tar on baseball bats (wooden) I just assumed you could get it from a sporting goods store.  I'd never tried them before but thought I'd give it try.  ::)

Hey Yankee I saw a guy make pine pitch glue and he used one part pitch, one part charcoal and one part dried manure (he stressed it had to be from a herbivore).  Not sure what the manure is for.   :-\

Mike                       Manure is fer strength. Herbivore manure contains lots of tiny undigested stuff...........bob

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 02:59:15 am »

Mike

The Manure has undigested Hay and Grass in it...this adds Strength to the Pine Tar....like adding Reinforcement Rod to Concrete...or like backing a Bow with Bamboo...but I think if I was going to add anything to it besides the Tar .... Lard or Beeswax.... and Charcoal....... it would have to be like Plaster of Paris not Manure!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 08:28:55 am »
Not sure if were all talkining the same thing here or not, pine pitch, pine tar, pine rosin

pine tar is a wood preservative and is made from a distillation process

pine pitch to me is sap collected from a tree, heated and mixed with charcoal and other binders

pine rosin ??? I have no idea. buck is that just yer name for pitch?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »
Yep...Pine Pitch is what you want fer da Glue...not Tar...tar is fer da Wadder Pruufing ...eh....and da Rosin....well I tinks He meant da Resin....which is da Pitch to Dana....cause da Rosin is da leftover after da Turpentine is extracted frum da Pitch (Resin)....boy now...dats too scientific fer me dis early on a Sunday Mornin!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 02:51:10 pm »
Yankee I might be the only one to understand that, made perfect sense to me ;) :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 02:53:00 pm »
                                                                 Ya Think!!!!!!!!!

::)
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 02:12:10 am »
Come on Mike, you're going to have to drop the Tejas from your name talking like that.   ;D

Ok I think I got it straight now.  The stuff that oozes straight from the tree is for making glue.  The manure is for strength and the charcoal is to filter out the smell of the manure.   ;).  Pine tar is for waterproofing the sinew to keep it from coming undone when it get moist.   ::)

Mike

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 03:42:37 am »
OK Mike....I jut thought that Yankee Texas  (Tejas)....was kinda cute....but if you insist....I will change it......My Buddy John called Me..... "El Destructo"....because I was soo Hard on Bow Staves when I started out....so maybe I will go with that....waddaya think???

Ferget da Chit....and stick ta da Sap...an da Charcoal Briquettes...an Beeswax....dats all Ya needs!!!

::)
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 03:43:03 pm »
Pine pitch, pine tar and pine resin are all colloquialisms for the same stuff...the gooey stuff that oozes out of a boo boo on a pine tree. ;D  Pitch glue is a mixture of pine resin, charcoal or other materials(dried rabbit or deer poop) for body and bees wax or animal fat to make it less brittle. Everyone has their own recipe and mine is about equal parts of each with maybe a bit more pitch.
  To seal sinew wraps and some arrow shafts I dissolve pitch in alcohol, strain it and paint it on with a small brush. The older pitch that has hardened(terps evaporated off) seems to dry well without being tacky for a while. If your pitch varnish is tacky you can roll the area covered by it in fine charcoal dust or chalk dust.

There is no smell to dried rabbit or deer poop. If there is, you don't want to use it. Basically it is the non digested material(plant fibers) that you are using in the pitch glue to add body to it.    Pat

ps. Other plant resins will also work for pitch glue or varnishes.   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 11:45:35 pm »
Ahh Mike, I was just kidding.  Any one that would live in the Texas Panhandle (or Oklahoma Panhandle for that matter) can call themselves a Tejano if they want to, no matter how they talk, but "El Destructo" has a certain Latino ring to it as well, especially if you roll the "R".   :D

Thanks for the info, Pat.  I do have some "stuff that came off my pine trees after last December's ice storm that broke off some limbs.  I'm going to take a few pictures of it and let you guys tell me if it's the right stuff. 

I'll get back with you all.   ;)

Mike

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 12:38:01 am »
OK, here are the pictures.  This is what I got off my pine trees after last winter's ice storm broke a bunch of limbs.  It reminds me of crystallized sugar.  Is it too late or too brittle to make pine glue from using the above mentioned recipes? 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 09:24:39 am »
Mike, that'll work fine-crunch it up a little and heat it up.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline flecha

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 01:03:12 pm »
Looks like good stuff.  I've had great success with it.  The longer you heat it the more brittle it'll be when it cools.
"We roped anything, anytime, anywhere with serene disregard for the consequences.
Arnold Rojas