Author Topic: Splicing with handtools  (Read 9666 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Splicing with handtools
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2019, 12:00:38 pm »
That splice does look awesome Stoner. Beautiful bow.

I'm watching and learning from this post. I just picked up a ton of short Osage that will mostly be billets I'll have to either splice or make take downs. I'm probably going to be using hand tools to.

It could be two tons
Bjrogg
I must be getting younger or something!  I sort read "I'm probably going to making tool handles, too"
I'll be glad to trade for some of the off cuts for tool and hawk handles and knife scales!  I think my new hawk would look real nice with an Osage handle!

Stoner,  is there a name for that type of splice?  Looks similar to what was defined to me once as a "Spanish Windlass" by a canoe maker.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2019, 12:53:58 pm »
Stoner did you have a reason for doing it in that direction rather than turning the "V's" around and having a diamond shape in the middle.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2019, 12:01:13 am »
DC

Thanks guy's, It was just a brain fart idea. It is a non-bending handle and shoots great right or left handed. John

According to Stoner, brainfart. I’m curious if it’s any easier to make than the standard though.

Offline Stoner

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2019, 02:44:08 am »
I tried the diamond splice originally but it acted like a wedge and split the limb. I must have jammed it in too tight. That's when I thought about this design, no outward pressure. You can see it in the picture above the finished bow. John

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2019, 05:25:08 am »
I tried the diamond splice originally but it acted like a wedge and split the limb. I must have jammed it in too tight. That's when I thought about this design, no outward pressure. You can see it in the picture above the finished bow. John

I had the same problem with my fingers joints. It's my first attempt at splicing billets. Won't be my last. Still got a big pile of em.
Bjrogg

PS got that pickup load from frank processed down a little.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 05:28:28 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise