Author Topic: Bending ERC  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Bending ERC
« on: June 05, 2019, 12:26:23 pm »
Does anyone have experience bending ERC?  I am working on an ERC self bow and I have a string alignment issue.  Anyone with ERC experience know the best way to get ERC to move?

Thanks.

Offline Jakesnyder

Re: Bending ERC
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 04:07:37 pm »
I actually just bent some and lifted a splinter on both tips. I steamed it for 15 min and bent slow. You cant make real sharp bends with it. At least I couldnt.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 04:15:42 pm »
Haven't tried it. I'm thinking upstate has. 15 minutes doesn't seem like very long for steaming. I usually go 15 minutes for every quarter inch of thickness. Half again that much for poorer bending woods like HHB.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Swampman

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 06:21:34 pm »
Thanks for the input.  I will try steaming and see what happens.  I don't need to move it very far so hopefully it will go alright. The string goes across the handle about 1 inch off center.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 06:44:06 pm »
Best outcomes I've had have come from boiling or steaming for at least 20 minutes per 1/4 inch. ERC does not like to bend with heat. I'd try to bend as far as you can past where you want it, knowing it'll inevitably spring back significantly.

Whenever I plan and ERC bow I always leave as much width as possible out to the tips so I won't have to rely on heat to adjust alignment.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Swampman

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 12:50:25 pm »
Thanks upstate.  I thought this stave would align just fine according to the strong I used before I started tillering.  However there is some prop twist with more in one limb than the other and I believe this is causing the alignment issue.  It really surprised me when I braced it.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 02:34:49 pm »
Ahh, I can see how that would happen. Surprises around every corner. Wishing you the best of luck! :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 03:52:13 am »
I don't remember making an ERC selfbow, but some backed: http://primitive-bows.com/tag/erc/

ERC responde good on steaming and also on dry heat with the heat gun, so your string alignment shouldn't be a big problem.
Good luck!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

gutpile

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 05:37:02 am »
dry heat for minor corrections..if bending recurve I boil 15 min per 1/4 of thickness.. ..pull bow from water and bend immediately all at once..clamp...gut

Offline Swampman

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 07:35:20 pm »
Well, I tried dry heat, steam and boiling of the limb I wanted to move and that limb did not budge.  Tonight I decided to try and move the other limb even though that limb was nice and straight.  I was successful in moving that limb 3/4 of an inch with dry heat.  I finally have the string lined up where I need it.  I sure am glad I didn't need to move anything more than I did because ERC does not like to move.  Now I can get back to the adventure of tillering.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Mike

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 08:51:39 pm »
Yes that is always an adventure )P(

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 07:13:43 am »
for what it's worth... I just finished tillering a rocky mountain juniper bow... very similar to ERC... I found out quickly to just use a sanding block for the last several inches of tillering. 
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline ohma2

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 10:58:39 am »
BOb is right get rid of the rasp and files early it is so soft it takes deep tool mark . Scraper and sand paper are safer.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 01:21:35 pm »
Thanks Bob and Ohma.  I did switch to send paper last night.  I started using a file and I felt the file was taking way too much wood.  I will definitely stick to sandpaper the rest of the way.