Author Topic: Groundhog recipes?  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Groundhog recipes?
« on: June 09, 2019, 12:05:54 pm »
Anyone have any good groundhog recipes? A buddy of mine has a family living under their house that they need removed. There are supposed to be 5 of them. So tonight after work I’m gonna take my air rifle and a couple traps over and try to reduce the numbers. I’ve heard good things about young ghogs. And good things about te toughness of their rawhide. So I’ll save their hides and meat from the young one. So anyone have some good ways of cooking them?

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Groundhog recipes?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 12:46:09 pm »
Slow roast like pork, might make good smoked jerky, seasoned with Laury's seasoned salt, parsley sage rosemary and thyme, ground together, and marinaded.  Throw it in the slow cooker like pot roast!  Don't give the cooked bones to the dogs, though.  I'd like to see the rawhide at MoJam!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 09:15:10 am »
If I’m able to get any I can bring you a hide hawkdancer. We didn’t see any yesterday. Mostly our fault as we were discussing and practicing takedowns in the yard while waiting for them to pop out. Not the most productive, but good way to spend an evening.

Kyle

Offline JEB

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 12:24:46 pm »
I am sorry but I don;t know if I could get that hungry.  LOL

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 03:25:50 pm »
I hear it is fine table fare. But like anything, a good cook can make anything taste great.

I've always wanted to get a hold of some fresh hides to make bowstrings.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JEB

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 03:54:31 pm »
JW I just eliminated a 5#er the other day. There are 3 more roaming around doing lots of ground damage. If I get one I will skin it and freeze it for you.Unless you want me to send you some beaver or bear hide for silencers. I have a lot of that already tanned.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 07:25:20 pm »
Cook it in an oven bag like pot roast ! Taters onions carrots ,,great pot roast jeffw

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 06:08:25 pm »
JW I just eliminated a 5#er the other day. There are 3 more roaming around doing lots of ground damage. If I get one I will skin it and freeze it for you.Unless you want me to send you some beaver or bear hide for silencers. I have a lot of that already tanned.

I would take you up on the offer of the chuck hide!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 07:12:17 pm »
JUst spoke to my son and they saw 3 today. I go back up north I will do some hunting. If I skin and freeze and then send to you would that be OK

Offline ohma2

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 08:54:56 am »
Friend of mine from Meadville used to cook one up in a slow cooker with veggies  from time to time and it was very tasty.

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 09:16:14 am »
Most of the folks I know only eat the little ones. We are over run with hogs and most people leave them in the field and the next day there is nothing left. The Buzzards clean them up as quick as you kill them.

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 03:06:58 pm »
i've had groundhog a couple of times. fried up like rabbit is good, slow cooked in a crock pot is greasey, to the point of being slimey, but the taste was still good. they really aren't much more than oversized squirrels, they are dedicated herbivores, and there is very little disease that is common to them. their taste is not unlike rabbit, but there's a lot more to them. do make sure you get the musk glands out from under the front "armpits", as i understand that can have an adverse effect on flavor

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 03:25:48 pm »
Kyle, bring them to mojam and we can put em on a smoker down by the pavilion.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 06:23:05 am »
That’s not a bad idea putting them on the smoker at mojam. I still need to get the little things. I’ll probablt sit out there again tomorrow evening after work and see if I can get them. If not, it’ll be time to dig out the traps.

Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 03:46:25 pm »
At the moment I’m at 2 young groundhogs. Hopefully I can get another couple by mojam. So if anyone brings a smoker, I’ll have something to put on it.

Kyle