Author Topic: Sinew backed mulberry design  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Jakesnyder

Sinew backed mulberry design
« on: June 11, 2019, 07:28:02 am »
I'm looking for a good fast bow design for a mulberry stave I'm drying out. It will be a bendy handle sinew backed short bow. Also can sinew be applied while the wood is still not totally dry yet? It will be a heartwood only since the sapwood has some bad checking from being in the heat box 22-24" draw length and probably 50lbs

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Sinew backed mulberry design
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 08:31:15 am »
It will pretty much design itself as u take off wood to get it to bend,.1 1/4 wide,,,,about,..narrow the tips,,,putting sinrw on green wood is ok,,,,coat belly to reduce checking,..in heat in some reflex to start,..3 to 5 inches,,.these are very general specs,,,,,just starting point

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 09:31:15 am »
You will love working with Mulberry. Sapwoods a b$txh but the heartwood is like butter. Lightweight and flexable.  Bends easily with dry heat. Seems to respond well to tempering as well.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 01:58:21 pm »
If I sealed the belly would the back check under the sinew? Would a spray poly seal it? Does anyone have any pictures of native sinew backed mulberry bows?

Offline Mafort

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 02:36:12 pm »
I would wait till it’s cured before you put sinew on it. May take a bit for the sinew to dry if you’re still trying to dry out the wood. Also mulberry works well with heat. Bends really well. Hopefully you post up pictures. I’d love to see the process for it

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 10:13:44 pm »
No the back covered in sinew won't check,,.belly cracks seem to be related to how much sinew is applied to the bow,.and will not harm the bow,..sealing belly with glue is ok...it will come off when u tiller,..laubin put rawhide,,.he said Egyptian s,,..put thin layer of sinew on belly,,.it won't hurt to let sinew and bow cure at same time,,..u don't have to seal belly,,,I just do,,,especially if little green