Author Topic: Got lucky on one  (Read 4789 times)

Offline DC

Re: Got lucky on one
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2019, 08:53:37 am »
What really surprised me was the (lack of) length of time you let the glue set :o. An eye opener.

Offline Badger

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2019, 09:02:37 am »
What really surprised me was the (lack of) length of time you let the glue set :o. An eye opener.

I wouldn't recommend that but on hot summer days I have done that a lot. I actually had it at full draw in less than 8 hours from the time of glue up. If I am real serious about a bow I usually wait a full 24 hours but sometimes I am just bored and looking for something to play with.

Offline sleek

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2019, 09:49:09 am »
I feel your pain on pulling 50 # Steve. I was trying to work up to 70# and pinched a nerve I guess. Now I can get to about 26" and my bow arm just collapse. It sucks when you have equipment that has potential to break records. Oh well I guess the records belong to someone else . Nice bow by the way Steve. Arvin

I had a pinched nerve last Mojam. It lasted months. However, it did eventually go away. Some of the worst pain I had ever experienced. My blood pressure was so high from pain they gave me all the morphine I asked for. ( I got addicted that stuff at a young age, and I try to not need it, but sometimes you just need help ) 

I'm sorry you are going through that. Try to not let the pain stress you too much, and take it easy. It's my opi in a 26 inch draw can be record breaking as well.... I hope to prove that soon, I hit 200 yards at 26 inch draw last mojam. Build a bow for a 26 inch draw, and you may be surprised at what it can do.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2019, 01:39:31 pm »
bloody cool to finally see one of your bows Badger!

Here is about 100 or so more

Too good, looks like a neat range of bows in there

Offline avcase

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2019, 04:31:40 pm »

I wouldn't recommend that but on hot summer days I have done that a lot. I actually had it at full draw in less than 8 hours from the time of glue up. If I am real serious about a bow I usually wait a full 24 hours but sometimes I am just bored and looking for something to play with.

I like this one Steve!  I also like to avoid having to do any filleting on a tiller tree after glue-up because I usually end up with something worse than I started with. Hahaha!  I hope you get 400 yards with this one!

I am also amazed you got away with such a short drying time. Tight bond traps moisture in the bow and it can take awhile for it to work its way out. I guess it depends on the types of wood used. I usually wait a week (bow kept in a warm dry place) after bonding a bow with Tightbond 3.  Maybe tightbond 1 sets up quicker and stronger than tightbond 3.  But I’ve had joints easily come apart after sitting in a hot car all day when using tropical like ipe and massaranduba.  I still noticed a high moisture content in the joint when I pulled it apart.

Alan