Author Topic: Persimmon staves  (Read 1913 times)

Offline DLH

Persimmon staves
« on: June 24, 2019, 03:07:16 pm »
I don’t post a whole lot but wanted to share this persimmon I got over the weekend. It blew down in the storms Friday and it was on my great grandpas old place. My grandpa said he remembers when it was a small tree as a kid he will be 83 this year. I was about one strong back and two wedges short but I finally got it. Gonna try the pressure washer on the back now and slap some shellac on. Those black spots in the middle was metal fence I discovered those with the hatchet. I don’t like splitting trees this big but knew the butt more than likely had metal and couldnt be sawn.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Persimmon staves
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 03:39:46 pm »
Nice haul. Looks like lots of good staves there.
 You should be able to peel the bark and not have to use the pressure washer. Be sure to seal the back when you do get the bark off.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 05:14:58 pm »
Hey Daniel,
Nice haul,  I remember you bust'n through some tough Osage staves the first Moon tree gathering.  You better not let all those kids get you down.  Lol.
Those will make some nice self bows.
Stop by next time your in Louisville would love to see you and the family again.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 06:59:43 pm »
Nice looking haul Daniel.  Persimmon is some hard wood. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 07:05:42 pm »
Looks like a truck load of work to me, but satisfying work :D

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 10:15:09 pm »
Nice bunch of staves!  Embedded steel fence?  That probably didn't help the hatchet any!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DLH

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 05:26:23 am »
Bill next time we are in Louisville I’ll try and stop by I don’t think you have seen my littlest one. I’m trying to not let chasing the little ones get me down. Going to Clint’s got me wanting to work on bows again. Now I have everything set up in my garage. My wife hasn’t been too thrilled with me getting more wood she thought I had enough.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 06:28:26 am »
Maybe trade a stave or two for something she wants, then she'll see the light :D :D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 06:34:42 am »
My wife hasn’t been too thrilled with me getting more wood she thought I had enough.
    :o     ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DLH

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 10:36:11 am »
I can’t trade staves for anything she would want maybe I can break her from it in time. Clint I should have known you would admire my wood.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 09:52:46 pm »
I can’t trade staves for anything she would want maybe I can break her from it in time. Clint I should have known you would admire my wood.
I don't know about that!   Jacie makes some neat jewelry, and acrylic pour art!  I can carve a pretty nice spoon, and make 100% beeswax candles!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry