Author Topic: privet short bow  (Read 1517 times)

Offline mikebarg

privet short bow
« on: June 12, 2019, 07:29:29 am »
I recently was able to collect 3 pieces of privet. This is the shortest piece. 49" ttt. It was 2" in diameter. It has only set for about a week. It took me a while to work it down to the point I could start bending it. It is still too heavy(heavier than expected). I put a zero brace height string on it and put it on a tillering stick. Most of my bows to this point have been long bows from boards. So, this is presenting new challenges for me.

Offline DC

Re: privet short bow
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 08:57:09 am »
I think a week of drying isn't enough. You've got a beautiful bend started there, don't ruin it by rushing.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 09:02:49 am »
where do you live?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 09:04:46 am »
sorry thats kind of weird. whats the weather like where you live (humidity, heat, etc.).
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline mikebarg

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 09:17:01 am »
I'm in central Texas.This time of year , Hot 90+ humidity 30-40%. I have seen some stuff on working green wood ,so I thought I wood work it down close to where I want it then dry it over a fire. This one is an experiment, so if it doesn't work out I won't worry about it.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 10:17:52 am »
fire drying should help, but maybe give it a little time before you bend it far,, experiments are fun :)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 10:29:43 am »
Hey fellow Texican!  Where are you in Central Texas?  Nice bend started for sure.  My first rule of bowmaking is don't rush it!  I have over the years rushed every step of this process from floor tiller to finish.  When I slowed down every step, the end results were much improved. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline mikebarg

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 11:17:59 am »
I'm out in Hutto. I agree, patience pays off in better results.

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 11:51:12 am »
haha how funny, I have  just started a privet bow also! from the little info I have found it seems like good wood. I hope yours works a charm! lile the others have said that is a mighty fine bend you have started there.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 11:55:28 am »
We are a few hours apart, I'm in Boerne.  Patience is something I never had much of as a yonker.  Not on much of anything.  I rode buckin' horses and the whole thing lasted 8 seconds.  Perfect sport for my ADD.  Then you were done and chasing girls...  I have one rule in bow making....If I am not mentally sharp, put it down and come back later.  It's amazing to me what that one little thing will do for you.  You see things you didn't see earlier.  You reset where you are in the process, or at least I do.  Keeps me from rushing things.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 12:05:28 pm »
yes more to bow making than meets the eye,, (--)