Author Topic: Hello and questions  (Read 3059 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Re: Hello and questions
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2019, 02:28:37 am »
That's the reason i splitted the log in 3 pieces, was affraid that it would twist in the grain and leaving me with only 2 pieces. At the moment im reducing one to atleast a more easyer to handle stave so i can draw and write some measurements on it. About that, what is less likely to fail, light draw weight or more heavy? And also what disign is the safest? I Read wide in with and tin in depth but i heard about pyramid shaped limbs and this morning i also heard about the "eastern Woodland style bow" wich would have almost parallel limbs in with? Me as a newbie would say that the last one is more safe because it doesn't Risk Breaking on the tapering.

An other fun fact for myself is that, even tough i own my grandfors bruks small axe for more then 10 years.. now i still learn to use it in different ways ;D

I only have access to the internet by phone at the moment and havent found out how to post pics yet, but i make Them on the way if i found out i Will post it.

Regards Ricardo

Offline Strichev

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2019, 07:38:56 am »
Flat, wide, and long is the safest but the reuslting bow might not be a good shooter. I'd say that whatever design you choose for your first bow the chances are it won't turn out that great. It may, of course, turn out perfect but bowyering seems to be one of those skills that develop iteratively.

Maybe the best option is just to decide on a design you like either due to historical or aesthetic significance and go from there. The exceptions being recurves, sinew backed bows and hornbows. Recurves tend to have stability issues, sinew and horn bows requre skills other than tillering.

To conculde; my advice is to choose a design you like and then perfect it, every style is different and all can be tricky when making them for the first time. More experienced guys may have more helpful and informed advice.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 07:45:11 am by Strichev »

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2019, 08:10:11 am »
The longer the better...up to a point (no pun intended). If you think 1 3/4” wide is enough, go 2 inches. Work slowly. Slower than that...  as for design, let the stave determine that in large part. Solicit advice on the forum first, and then slowly make shavings.  Some will suck less than others. Do more of that on the next one. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.