Author Topic: TB III reflex experiment  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Mesophilic

TB III reflex experiment
« on: June 14, 2019, 08:31:53 pm »
I've read many a discussion on how Titebond 3 won't let the sinew pull in any reflex.

Decided to do a little experiment.  This is by no means scientific, I took no measurements, didn't weigh anything.  I'm breaking down some elk backstrap sinew and saved some scrap pieces that would normally go in the glue pot, so I'm not even using quality sinew.

Used two strips of pine about 1/8" thick by 1/2" wide.  No special prep done to the wood.

The top strip is Titebond 3.  I presoaked the sinew, sized the wood with TB III, worked some of the glue into the sinew, and applied.

The bottom was done with glue that's 50:50 homemade hide glue from rawhide and sinew scraps and Knox gelatin glue.  Same as above, presoaked the sinew, sized the wood with hide glue mix, and soaked  sinew in hide glue for a minute, squeezed out some excess glue, and applied.

The hide glue sinew laid down easier, was smoother to work with, easier to smooth down with fingers as I applied.  The TB III on the other hand  was more challenging.  As the glue dried while applying,  sinew tended to be more clumpy, and harder to smooth out and get even. Not sure if this plays a role in the final reflex amount, but it didn't go on smooth and even, with nice parallel strips like the hide glued sample.  Might be the small amount of glue and sinew plus our low humidity giving me fits.

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline DC

Re: TB III reflex experiment
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 06:04:55 am »
The first time I used sinew(for a patch) I used carpenters glue much like TB. I also found it clumpy. I've since wondered if that was partly due to my inexperience in working with sinew. I think if I had soaked and then combed the sinew out nice and smooth and then applied the glue it may have gone faster and then the glue drying wouldn't have been such a problem. Just thinking out loud. I still think that hide glue is the way to go. :D

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 06:14:28 am »
I have used TB on sinew wrapping projects and snake skins but not for sinew backing, I watered down the glue to give me more working time.

Offline bassman

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 06:39:18 am »
I have tried both ways many times. Hide glue ,and sinew to  me is the best combination which your tests ,and some others have shown.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 07:02:44 am »
Hide glue and sinew are homogeneous. TB type glues do not have the same properties. When working with animal products I prefer hide glue and believe it's superior in that role. The major downside.....moisture, but proper precautions will virtually eliminate that concern.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 11:46:46 am »
  Homogeneous, +1 PaSteve...    Hide glue for me every time...Wife hates the smell! 
                                                                                                                                 Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 12:43:29 pm »
What do you guys think, if I repeat the experiment and induce reflex by backwards stringing the sample sticks?   My proposal would suggest a similar result.

This is just a curiosity thing...non-science experiment for the sake of science  ;D

What I've learned so far is that white glue will pull a reflex even if it's only half of what hideglue will do.  It also took teo days to dry and pull the reflex wheras the hide glue did it over night.

I'm also curious to see what happens with a 50:50 or even 75:25 mix of hideglue to TB III.  But we'll see what time and scrap sinew permits.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 06:35:55 pm »
The hide glue itself shrinks. The others do not. That’s the difference and advantage to it I believe.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bassman

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 06:54:29 pm »
And  you can get your sinew back in case of mistake with hide glue. Not  with TB2 or three.In my mind it is the better choice.Bows seem to be snappier, and hold their shape.