Author Topic: Vice post  (Read 2425 times)

Offline DC

Vice post
« on: June 15, 2019, 06:50:45 am »
I was just watching a video on James Parkers site and was taken by his vice post. It's a 3" (approx) steel post with a plate top and bottom. The bottom plate is bolted to the concrete floor and his vice is bolted to the top plate. It's in the middle of the room so you can work all around it, I like that. What I'm concerned about is the way it's attached to the concrete. It seems to me that with the vice up on a 3' post the shaking would put a tremendous load on the floor. Has anyone used something like this and how did you attach it to the floor? I'm also used to a very solid workbench and thought this might shake around too much.

Offline ohma2

Re: Vice post
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 08:46:11 am »
I've got the same setup right outside my basement door.i set it in concrete deep and it served me well when i would rather be outside enjoying the weather. You should give him a buzz and ask him what he used for anchors as hes a great guy to talk to and relay knoladge from

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 06:26:25 am »
I've been thinking of doing the same as ohma2. I normally do most of my bow work in the winter though. I don't really have a place to put one in open space on floor. Was thinking if I ever did build a dedicated bow shop I'd maybe install one in a similar fashion. Possibly modified that it could be easily removed if I needed the space for a different project.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 06:44:57 am »
The "easily removed" part would be nice. That's one of the reasons that using concrete anchors interested me. A post set in concrete would be best but not so easy to get out. ;D ;D You could set a 3" ID pipe in the concrete and then put a 3" OD pipe in it but if it was a nice fit it would jam up with dirt and you'd never get it out.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 07:34:57 am »
The "easily removed" part would be nice. That's one of the reasons that using concrete anchors interested me. A post set in concrete would be best but not so easy to get out. ;D ;D You could set a 3" ID pipe in the concrete and then put a 3" OD pipe in it but if it was a nice fit it would jam up with dirt and you'd never get it out.

That's how I was thinking about doing it DC. Perhaps with a notch or holes to stick a bolt through to keep pipe from spinning.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 10:16:21 am »
That's the ideal set up for a vice, to have it where you can work all around it. It helps prevent uneven limb thickness for one thing. I've pulled my work table out of the block wall twice over the years removing bark and sapwood from osage staves and broke 2, 4" red vices too so I doubt a plate bolted to the floor would last very long. If you could set a post in the ground in concrete without it getting in the way otherwise that would be the way to go.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline neuse

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 05:07:21 am »
I put one in my garage, 1 1/2" black iron pipe, screwed to a floor plate.
The floor plate is attatched to the concrete with drop in anchors, bolted down with lock washers.
Same floor plate on top, with a small piece of 2x6 attached to the plate and the vice attached to the 2x6.

It is not super perfect, but it gets the job done.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 08:13:07 am »
How long have you been using it, Neuse? I was planning on a 3" pipe so it would be stiffer but it's the durability of the anchors (well, the concrete) that concerns me.

Offline Mounter

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 11:05:58 am »
I’ve been thinking of something similar.. I was going to have a hole bored in the concrete floor for pipe, but worried about it spinning. Now I think I will cut a 12 inch by 12 inch out , dig down about 10 inch’s and re pour with 3 x3 inch square metal stock centered in hole.

Probably wrap the metal with a wrap of cardboard or something to make a slightly loose fitting slip joint....  i’ll Be watching for other ideas tho.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 12:37:22 pm »
I was thinking about something like that but I'll probably be selling the house at some point and a three inch pipe in the centre of one bay of the garage wouldn't be a big selling point.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 12:38:41 pm »
DC,

Nothing a swazall won't take care of.

Offline Mounter

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 01:40:09 pm »
Plan is to make the post removable, then there’s just a small square hole in cement I can put a cap over to keep dirt out...

Mines in a shop tho and I don’t plan on goin anywhere soon.🙂