Author Topic: Dalle De Vere Point  (Read 1867 times)

Offline jareddchazen

Dalle De Vere Point
« on: June 25, 2019, 09:56:12 pm »
I mentioned in another post something about Dalle De Vere flakes, so I thought I'd expand on that here. My day job is working in a stained glass art studio and the most common talked about glass that's usable for knapping is 1/4 plate. 1/8 double strength works good for small points and I use both quite often. But my favorite is flakes from making Dalle windows. Dalle plates are 6x12" and 1" thick. We smack the edges of one side with a hammer to drive off flakes. Depending on what size the plate is cut to, I'll get flakes between 1 1/2-3" wide.

The point here was done in just a few minutes and wasn't meant to be anything special, just a quick demonstration on what can be done with these flakes.

First picture is the box of flakes I have now.

Second-third-fourth show the Dalle flake from 3 angles, you can see what was the edge of the plate on the base of the flake. Should mention, this is a medium sized flake. They have a high ridge at the base that needs to get thinned down and flakes need to be driven on the flat bottom.

Fifth-sixth show the finished point against a ruler. I screwed up on the notching as I was rushing. One of the points snapped and I also didn't go too deep with them.

Seventh shows the base of the point.

Bonus: Check out all the 1/4 plate scrap I brought home!

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Dalle De Vere Point
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 09:31:25 am »
Neat little quickie!  Nice to have a steady supply - don't quit your day job! >:D :KN (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline jareddchazen

Re: Dalle De Vere Point
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 02:59:51 pm »
Thanks!

Don't plan on leaving anytime soon. Funny thing, when I first got the job, my girl said, "Now you can stop breaking bottles and collecting rocks, you got all you need there."