Author Topic: Bowaholics Support Thread  (Read 202698 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Bowaholics Support thread
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2008, 11:49:23 am »
 Tracy, a let down on this scale is huge. First try to remain calm,,, There is help but requires immediate action. Call as many "friends" as you have in your local area and plan your own gathering. Though this seems like a cop-out it's really just a coping tool. You will have to organize, plan and help others with thier addiction but sometimes that can be very helpull and rewarding. this may not be the fix that your body is craving but small rewards can help.
 Word of caution;;;;; Teaching others can be as habit forming as indulging in your own fantacies.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2008, 03:29:10 pm »
Dr. Keenan , you just may have saved my life with your infinite words of wisdom. Thanks, I owe you one!
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2008, 03:00:14 pm »
I've already started contributing to the bowmakin' delinquency of a senior...Hawk, 67 years young has learned the fine art of chasing an osage grain. He will probably begin tillering his bow today, and from the almost non-stop work on it he displayed yesterday I'm sure he is hooked!

His bow from the Classic last year, an outstanding hickory kept his ediction on a high through the year. He's gone to the hard stuff now with his introduction to making an osage bow. I'm sure he'll never be the same, and will from now on be a changed man traveling in the circles of other hardcore bowaholics. He did bring his wife with him...so maybe although he may not resurface to the rest of his family for months to come, at least he has his soul mate to support him through his "trip". ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2008, 03:02:36 am »
Keenan I was wondering how the details of the Central Oregon Bowaholics Classic where going. location, times, events, money for shared cost of anything, if theres camping stuff like that. Thanks Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

gene roberts

« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2008, 01:22:30 am »
I ofet find myself looking out windows at school for a good hickory or something else to make a stave out of.I daydream about it.I often look right behind the shoulders of most animals I see( even squirrells).Is there any help  people please same me.

gene roberts

« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2008, 01:24:37 am »
I also use metaphors involving tools of the trade of bows. HELP!!!!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2008, 04:00:40 am »
Joel, We are finalizing everything this week and should have more info for you soon. we are planning on getting there thursday afternoon. But most will show on friday night or Sat. morning. Were still trying to get things prepped out and this is our first so pulling everything together is a trial. We are asking any who have 3D targets to bring them, as well as bow biulding tools stands or benches. We're in the process of getting the porta johns lined out and it's sounding like there going to be a good showing of people.  ;)
  JJ is going over to the shoot O-suck shoot this weekend and will have flyers for everyone. We are planning on heading up there  on friday to get the mileage and map it out. :)

Gene, "See the above"  We have theropy sessions comming up. However it only is our way of keeping ourself from over indulging by showing others what to do. Then as they get hooked we can laugh and somehow feel justified because we aren't aalone with our illness. ;D

gene roberts

« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2008, 09:38:35 pm »
I....I...I'm not alone???  Yeah  I will be at the classic,right now this is Gene's son Zach.See You soon

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2008, 04:54:18 am »
I think my Bowaholism is getting worse. I took a friend up to Mary's Peak to find Vine Maple. There is tons of it at the base of the mountain. I think if I can get my friend to start on a bow he'll catch the bug to.  >:D Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline Keenan

« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2008, 01:06:37 pm »
  It appears that there is some serious addicts that have gone over the edge from the recent events down south in the Tenn, region. The impact was so huge that some in states as far away as Washington have been affected. ::)
  I recieved an email this morning from one of our contacts an he seems to have been comprimised and is trying to convince me that it's imparative that I start planning to attend next year. ;) It's also evident by the postings that many have gone completely wild and are still having serious "flash backs" and are striving to relive the recent event.  >:DI shudder to think of the contacts that have been made and the circle of influence may never be stopped at this point ;D
  It appears that the only hope for many of these that attended is to find local help to try to slowly come back to reallity and get ther feet back on the ground. ::). If you know someone in this situation it may be nessessary to orgainize a local event to get them through this difficult time of with drawl.  :D ;)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2008, 03:16:47 pm »
Dr. Keenan, unfortunately I'm one of those many who are suffering from flashbacks from this event. I have spoke of nothing else at work since, and I'm sure all those around me have long ago tired of hearing about everything that went on and looking at pictures on PA. Not having experienced it themselves, I can not do justice when describing to them the longterm affects it seems to have had on me. All I want to do is make a bow with narrower tips then I've made in the past, look for cane to make arrows from, and eat some more collard greens! ;D Heck, I'm even thinking about breaking some rocks.

Hopefully I'll eventually come back to earth, and when I arrive maybe I'll still have a job since I haven't been able to keep my mind on it much for the last few days! ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Keenan

« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2008, 03:24:25 pm »
Greg there is hope for you! ;) You are a very brave person to be the first to come forward and talk about recovery openly. :o Your co-workers and family need to understand it's an illness that you have little control over. Hopefully they will give you the time that you need ;D

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2008, 05:29:05 pm »
My name is David Tiller and I'm a Bowaholic!

(Place Response here!)

It all began at birth for me. First sight was of the umbilical chord. All I could think was what a great bow string it would make!  ;D Then later in life it just got worse and worse. Now I cant seem to walk or drive down the street without looking at trees and trying to figure out how I can cut them down, in the middle of the night, and get away with them without getting caught!  :P  All I see are bows and arrows when I see wood, trees and saplings. I have even digressed in evolutionary patterns and now make stone points. HELP! What can I do. My brow ridge is growing, my knuckles are draging on the the sidewalk. Alcohol does not help, but just makes me ruin a good peice of wood. What to do!!!!

Sincerely;

Desperate for help! Or a good peice of Osage!!!  :D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Keenan

« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2008, 12:04:14 pm »
 David, I'm glad to see you coming to grips with your addiction. However I'm very concerned about your case becaus e it appears that there is more of a devided interest in your case. On one side I see the pull of the primitive ways and the draw of a simple existance that tugs at your heart. ;)
 However I see a definate gleem in your eyes in some of those pics when your are standing by the opposite sex. :o :o :o Opps did I say that out loud >:D  Though this usually causes division of intrest. It sometimes works when the addiction is mutual. Guess time will tell.. ;D ;D

gene roberts

« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2008, 01:28:47 am »
...THEN i MADE A BOW...SOB SOB....HELP ME  it is only worse...save me