Author Topic: Got me some hens  (Read 2304 times)

Offline sleek

Got me some hens
« on: June 18, 2019, 11:35:48 am »
I have 3 that were given to us, and I have 4 cattle dogs that dont know what to do with themselves and the chickens. I'd really like to keep everybody healthy, so I'd like to ask, how do you introduce cattle dogs to chickens, without them chasing the chickens to death, or confusing them for squeak toys.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

Re: Got me some hens
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 12:34:34 pm »
In my experience tying the first dead chicken around the dogs neck does work. He never looked at a chicken again. Only took a few hours. Of course that doesn't help the chicken.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 04:16:15 am »
You need to get another chicken to do that if you have four dogs ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ksnow

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 04:39:25 am »

Nah, by the fourth dog that first chicken will be good and ripe.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 04:44:40 am »
We did that to our dog years ago when we use to go for the summer to my grand Mothers for a couple of weeks, it worked , and good thing because Chickens were more important than dogs back then and if it hadn't worked , well you know what would have happened to the dog. :-M
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 10:34:07 am »
Just have to teach the dogs to watch the chickens and believe the birds are cattle to protect!  On the other hand, the chickens are outnumbered! (lol) and may not go along with the game!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 12:08:39 pm »

Nah, by the fourth dog that first chicken will be good and ripe.

:OK    ;D    :OK
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 12:11:39 pm »
With that many dogs maybe focus on acquiring cattle, not chickens?    ;)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 04:18:57 am »
We always had more trouble with the neighbors dogs. I remember when one of our neighbors got a new dog. It liked to roam. It got my uncles dog to join him. They got in the chicken coop. My uncle was a bachelor and loved his dog. He put him down. Us kids loved his dog to. Way more than the chickens. Like Pappy said, the chickens were more important than the dog. Us kids sure didn't think so and we sure missed Ringo. Still can see that dog play fetch with my uncle. That's gotta be all of fifty years ago. I know that had to be really hard for my uncle.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise