Author Topic: Straightening horn?  (Read 6761 times)

Offline Mafort

Straightening horn?
« on: June 18, 2019, 02:04:49 pm »
How do you all get your horn straight? I am having issues doing so

Offline NorthHeart

Re: Straightening horn?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 05:07:50 pm »
Need more details. What stage of the build are you in? Pics?

Offline Mafort

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 06:02:31 pm »
They’re already cut and thinned down to about 1/8”. I’d like to try and get them a bit straighter before I start the gluing process

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 01:30:52 am »
Boiling, steaming or heat gun. In that preferred order, for a short period of time only, horn bends quite easily. 5-10 minutes? Its important to not overdo it, heat weakens the horn.

By boiling the horns, you can actually bend really thick horn too, as people have shown when making those sheep horn bows.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 01:58:43 am »
I tried steam and boiling and they would not stay straight. I tried direct heat last night so I wonder how that worked out. I won’t unwrap them till Saturday at least. But it’s looking like they will curl again

Offline Mafort

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 02:07:58 am »
They may be too thick still

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 07:16:47 am »
Are you clamping them between boards to keep them flat and straight while they cool and dry?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mafort

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 07:46:58 am »
I tied them to board using the same method and tool you use to bind the horn to the wood core. Not clamped between two boards but they’re tied flat. I may thin them more if they aren’t thin enough and then try again.

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 01:15:05 pm »
You could submerge them into water for some days. Some guys have only used this method to straighten their horns. Soak well and then bend straight.
Soaking and then boiling, should work wonders also.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 05:02:16 pm »
You could submerge them into water for some days. Some guys have only used this method to straighten their horns. Soak well and then bend straight.
Soaking and then boiling, should work wonders also.

I’ve got them semi straight but that’s not good enough. Im gunna try this method and see how it works out.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 08:31:48 am »
Are you trying to flatten the strips or bend them sideways? I have no experience with horn but I just ordered some and I'm trying to learn stuff now. I think I read somewhere that it's tough to bend the strips sideways. Is this true? Hope you don't mind me piggy backing on your thread.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 09:32:56 am »
 You don't ever want to try to take side bend or twist out of horn, because it will always return to its original shape, even after glueing to your core, which will inevitably end with a twisted bow....not good.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 11:50:52 am »
Are you trying to flatten the strips or bend them sideways? I have no experience with horn but I just ordered some and I'm trying to learn stuff now. I think I read somewhere that it's tough to bend the strips sideways. Is this true? Hope you don't mind me piggy backing on your thread.

By all means ask away. As I understand it you never want to bend your horn sideways or you can break it, twist it, or deform your core and end up with a broken bow. The best thing I did was use heat over a stove top to heat up the strips and tighten them to the board. Finished another session about 40 minutes ago and they are going to stay tied to the board until the morning. Soak them overnight really helped. They bent way easier and as far as I can tell there’s no cracks or holes or anything happening anywhere.