Author Topic: BL 51" 40-45#@26, bendy handle, is it to much to ask for?  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Lip

BL 51" 40-45#@26, bendy handle, is it to much to ask for?
« on: June 18, 2019, 07:11:08 pm »
Hey guys!
First time I work with BL and I have finally chased my first ring and all! Anyways, now I have a stick 51" long, 1.5" wide and I hope to get 40-45#@26" with it bending through the handle. Am I pushing it with 26"? 
And by the way, that glassy back is super pretty even before any finish!

Thanks!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: BL 51" 40-45#@26, bendy handle, is it to much to ask for?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 07:50:52 pm »
You are at the max draw for that length especially with locust so your tillering will have to be spot on. I'd leave the limbs wide and narrow the handle area for comfort. It can still bend through the handle but leave the middle 1/3 of the bow stiff early on and bring the bend back to the handle as you reach for full draw. My experience with locust made me realize it frets easily so take it easy not to over stress the wood as you tiller.  Locust reacts well to belly tempering which would help with this short of a bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 08:19:08 pm »
Yes

Offline bassman

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 06:26:10 am »
Lip, I have a 52 inch short Black Locust bow that draws 26 inches at 52 lbs. One half  at the tips to one and a quarter at the fades. It has a non working riser with a cut in shelf.It is a sinew backed bow so I know it will work that way. I will post it.If I make Black Locust self bows I make them 62 inches long at 26 inch draw at around 45 lbs.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 09:12:35 am »
asking the wood to draw that far will reduce your chance of success,,
here are some things you might consider,,
draw the bow to 24 inches,, or sinew back it for the longer draw,,
not sure why you need to draw to 26,, but you will find if you mark your arrow at 24 and shoot it for a week,, 24 inches will be quite accurate for you,,
ok maybe the bow is for a friend that has 26 inch draw,, that may not be the right stave for that project,,
sometimes people think they have only one draw that works for them,, well making bows for alot of different people and also my interest in Native style bows has taught me that I can shoot about any draw length with a little practice,,and I think most archers could as well,, so let the stave dictate the best draw for that bow that will keep it healthy,,  )P(
   I have been reading Laubin, ,and took note that the Sioux preferred a 23 inch arrow,, just thought I would mention that,,  (-S
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 10:09:12 am by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Lip

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 06:43:43 pm »
Hi guys!
Yeah I don't need 26" draw, it's just a comfortable DL for me. I've never worked with BL and only made a few bows so i wondered about its limits. With how much work it was to chase that ring I think I just want a bow out of it, I can break the next one chasing 26"!

Thanks!!
John

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 03:54:30 am »
Make it wide, slightly flip the tips(just enough that string angle stays good), and heat treat. You should have a decent shot of it making a 26” draw. I would’ve prefered to have kept it a bit wider, closer to 2”. But I would just keep it full width from handle to midlimb,  then taper to 1/2” nocks. Flips the tips a little, just for string angle. Then just see how far it lets you go before you hit about 3/4” of permanent set, or you hit your 26” mark. Keep the handle area and a few inches either side a bit stiff early on. It’ll come around later in the draw cycle. I just finished out tillering an Osage (I know, different wood) almost identical starts, except a bit shorter and a bit wider at 2.5” and I still pulled it to 26”. It shoots surprisingly well. And stack isn’t too bad as the thinner limbs have less resistance to bending in a tighter radius.

Kyle

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 09:00:57 am »
If his bow was Osage,,.and 2 1/2 wide it would increase his odds for success,,,at the longer draw )P(