Author Topic: Ipe hickory and bamboo trilam questions.  (Read 4795 times)

Offline Mafort

Ipe hickory and bamboo trilam questions.
« on: June 21, 2019, 09:58:43 am »
So I have found 2 ipe boards here in Kentucky that are straight grained and the first thing that came to mind is the English longbow. I’m wanting to get Atleast 70-75 at 28”. I’m sure it’ll be more than that at 32” but that’s my hunting length is 28”. Anyways what are some measurements to follow that will assist me in getting my desired draw weight? The backings are 1/8” thick by 2” wide and the Ipe is an 1.5” thick by 2” wide by 72” long. Any help would be appreciated. The other one I’m wanting at like 100lbs of draw but that’s a whole different beast to master and I want to make sure I get the lighter one done correctly first

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Ipe hickory and bamboo trilam questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 10:18:41 am »
With the ipe being 1.5" thick you could easily build a 100# backed bow with a boo or hickory backing and not worry about it being a tri-lam. I'd make it about 1.25" wide at the handle down to .5" at the tips. Keep it 72" long.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mafort

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 06:52:50 am »
I got mixed up. It’s only 3/4” thick.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 09:40:52 am »
Even at 3/4" you could build the bow you want with just a backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mikkolaht

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 07:16:13 am »
You can make a 200 pounder with that slice of Ipe if you want to.

This one was s 200lbs at 32inches.

I failed with the tiller on this one. And the bamboo back got a small splinter. However the bow remained straight when unstrung, which goes to prove how great Ipe is.
Laminates were: Bamboo, Maple, Ipe