Author Topic: Lookin 4 some Cotton mouths  (Read 39559 times)

Offline Aries

Lookin 4 some Cotton mouths
« on: April 11, 2008, 06:12:47 pm »
I have never been out specifically looking for watter moccasins, but now i have a dream of black snake skins on an osage bow, and i can't shake it :o.  Can you guy give me some tips on when, where, and what weather conditions to look for these guys at. i live in South central Oklahoma, and i have a few ponds and small lakes i can check.
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline huntertrapper

Re: Lookin 4 some Cotton mouths
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 06:23:21 pm »
good hot weather. in places where they sun shines through. flat surfaces whre they could lay in the sun. under logs, but risky case of poisinus snakes.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 08:15:30 pm »
  I don't know about OK. , but when I hunted in Wichita Falls I saw them around the Tanks.What I noticed, though ,they were kind of puny compared to the ones in Florida. Also saw some this morning down in Louisiana.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 08:22:38 pm »
Yep, their coming out about now. Look for the scummiest, shallow water - with game (fish, frogs, minners type stuff) and you aught to find some moskins. Late spring when it's hot and humid seems to be the best time. I'm in north central TX so should be about the same.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 08:24:38 pm »
Of course your not going to kill them just for the skins right, I'm sure yer planning a tasty meal of snake ;) ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 09:42:32 pm »
i know if i got a good snake. id be eaten him.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 02:51:48 am »
They are OK for an Appetizer...but they just don't eat like a Steak does!! I like to cube them up ...batter them....and then deep fry them till golden Brown...and serve them like a side dish or something.... I never just kill a Snake for the sake of a Skin....because all you have to do in the Spring and Fall...is to drive the side roads at night after it starts to cool down...and you can find all kinds of them trying to keep warm on the edges of the Pavement...or run over already trying to keep warm....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 03:10:24 am »
They are OK for an Appetizer...but they just don't eat like a Steak does!! I like to cube them up ...batter them....and then deep fry them till golden Brown...and serve them like a side dish or something....

They eat better than steak.  I love a good snake fried in a dutch oven.   Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 03:40:51 am »
 BEEF....................whats that ? STEAK ....................whats that ? Yummy........... snake and cabbage ! ;D..........bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 08:16:13 am »
Never had snake, then again their really ain't to many up here. Eastern fox snakes get big but ya just don't seen them
very often anymore.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 11:23:58 am »
not many in more northeren areas, eh? ;D i cant say ill be out lookin for them, but if i see a rattler, i never have before, i will probably shoot' em for meat and hide.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 11:51:04 am »
Some of the ponds and creeks around here are just slitherin with em :). Me and the brother used to sneak up on em in the water, grab em by the tail, spin em around in circles and let fly - we were easily amused back then ;D. These were just your average water snakes of some sort - we kinda avoided the fat black ones.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 01:11:59 pm »
I'd like to get hold of some cottonmouth hides one of these days, too. The're closely related to copperheads, and the younger ones have a nice pattern that kinda resembles a copperhead. We don't have any water moccasins up here in the mountains, though-just the non-venomous water snakes.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 03:05:17 pm »
In the Oklahoma Panhandle...on a couple small Lakes called Dead Indian ....and Lake Vinson....they are all along the Shore...you have to watch you step for sure....they will litterally follow your Boat or Canoe around the Shoreline...and when you drag in a Fish....they will try to take it!!....My Buddy George was beating one in the Head last Summer when it tried to get His Crappie....He beat it with a Plastic Boat Oar!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Aries

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 04:51:33 pm »
I have been keepin a keen eye on the sides of roads as usuall, i have just recently added snake on the list :P
I haven't quite worked up the courage to eat a poisoness snake yet, i didnt know how to go about the preperation... cough.. good excuse right  ;D   Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow