Author Topic: Summer Solstice!  (Read 4030 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Summer Solstice!
« on: June 21, 2019, 11:01:05 am »
Greetings of the summer season!  Depending on where you are (lol)!  We are in for a cool, wet weekend, then 80+ next week!  The mountains could get 3-4" snow possibly down to 9,000'!  Got the garden planted, everything seems to be doing well.  Had over a 1/2" of rain earlier in the week, so that helps a bunch, except that I have to mow the grass now!  Getting ready to teach a basic archery class for youth and flying blind, have to develop my lesson outline, and plans.  Safety first, of course, then basic info, like draw length, strong eye, draw weight, range rules, etc.  and get everything ready to head to MoJam, 0 early 30, on the 17th after my class Tuesday evening!  I sort of plan to use the Scout Archery Merit Badge book as my outline, as it is very basic, and geared to the age group I'll be working with.  Got the new book, I should dig out my old book and compare the info from 60 years ago to the current info.  Any way, I hope your summer is a good one, the crops and the garden do well, and the grass doesn't grow too fast!  Have a good summer!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Summer Solstice!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 01:25:14 pm »
Happy summer solstice to you, Jerry. This is my least favorite season but they are all good.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 05:39:57 am »
Mine too Pat.  Summer in central Texas is...just hot.  Beats the alternative though, and Dove season will be here before you know it.  Good on you Hawkdancer!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 04:18:59 pm »
Happy solstice! Hope it’s a gooder for one and all!!
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 08:29:33 pm »
Climbed a ridge in the northern Black Hills today with two like minded gennelmen of unsavory character. The view looked out over seven different small watersheds, numerous peaks, ridgelines, valleys, and so on. Not much conversation. Didn't really need any. Commentary would have been utterly superfluous.

At the top we stood and looked out over that amazing view. Nick ate an apple, Brian whittled a stick, and I fiddled with my pipe. About half an hour went by, then without a comment we all turned and hiked back to the vehicle.

Happy solstice everyone. Take a moment and catch your breath.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 12:00:22 pm »
We had a very wet star of the weekend, the storms just kept coming!  Mountains near Steamboat had 16" snow Friday evening at 10:00 pm, and it was still snowing hard.  Got over a inch of rain here.  I was judging Earthdogs yesterday and didn't quite beat the rain during my last class, last 4 Dogs got a bit wet!  The drive home was vary intense, about 35 miles through rain so hard it Wasn't able to drain from the highway quickly!  Supposed to be hot later this week!  The grass will probably blow up again!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 04:11:55 pm »
Dumped 3.5 inches out of the rain gauge from last night and this morning. The Kaw river will be well out of it's banks by tomorrow in places.
Glad I  live up on the side of a hill.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 07:10:48 pm »
 Jerry,
           You just got the garden planted and were down here picking tomatoes, Lol...I f I could, I would move north for the Summer and back here for hunting season and the Fall...The family has a farm in Ohio, may be in the future...Adams County, Ohio has some big deer...We are subtropical here in S.C. and the older I get the less I can take this weather, humidity off the charts at times...
                                      Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 09:08:29 pm »
We have gotten a few strawberries, and there is a little bitty crookneck squash developing!  Peas are up and should be blooming this week or next and the beans are sprouting!  Also have some blueberries developing.  Tomatoes are weeks away!  May have to raid Paul's garden on the way back from MoJam! >:D (lol)
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 04:26:47 am »
  Tomatoes are weeks away!  May have to raid Paul's garden on the way back from MoJam! >:D (lol)
Hawkdancer

If there are any ripe ones I'll be bringing them along Jerry.  :)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 10:31:37 am »
Sounds good, Paul!  Hope there is a bumper crop!
Jerry
Jerry

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 12:06:55 pm »
Rumours of Summer have been greatly exaggerated...
Del  ;D
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 03:25:24 pm »
108-110 heat index and intermittent storms.  The solstice was my beautiful lady's birthday so we celebrated extra.  Hope you guys get something to grow this year.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 10:22:43 pm »
You are correct there Del!  Over 2 feet of snow above Steamboat Springs, and Trai Ridge Road was closed again - the snowplow crews had to plow their way down!  But we got to 80F today and the forecast is 90 plus Thursday!  Latest 90 temp in 40 plus years!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 06:37:41 am »
We've had the driest spring I can remember and I've been here 72 years tomorrow. Streams that never go dry(even in late summer) are just small pools full of salmon fry. We need some rain badly.