Author Topic: Quillwork  (Read 3696 times)

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
Quillwork
« on: June 22, 2019, 09:54:35 am »
While I was at the TN Classic I saw Becca doing quillwork. I was fascinated by it but didn't want to bother her with a million questions at the time. Last week I saw a post from a wildlife rehab that had a picture of all the porcupine quills laying on the ground from them shedding out. They are going to send me a few so I can try my hand at trying the technique. Thanks to Amazon, I have a copy of the Guide to Indian Quillworking that should be arriving next week. Like I need another hobby. ;)

Does anyone have any suggestions for references and a supply source?
Coby Kopec proud mom of Cahl  and
Founder of Chasing Heartwood

Enjoy the little things in life,
because one day you will look back,
and realize they were big things.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Quillwork
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 10:13:32 am »
Coby, I got that book also and it has helped me understand the technique. I watched a few videos on You Tube that helped and I also watched Becca working at the Classic. She does beautiful work and makes it look so easy. The process is simple although slow. I'm having trouble trying to keep my quilling even and neat. I'm using small sewing needles and thin artificial sinew for the thread. Regular sewing thread was harder for me to keep the needles on. I think the wax on the artificial sinew really helped. As far as quills, I asked on here and had 3 different folks send me quills. Crazy Crow has dyed and natural quills or you can dye them with Rit dye.
If you want just a few quills to try I can send you some of what others have sent me. At the rate I'm going I should have plenty to share with you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 12:32:58 pm »
CJ,  I still have quite a few quills and can send you some.  Pm me your address.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 12:36:57 pm »
Jerry, I can catch up with you at MOJAM if you are coming. I’d really appreciate it.

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 12:43:26 pm »
Thanks Pat. I’m really looking forward to giving it a try. I have lots of dyes here from my wool business. I believe they should work since the quills are a protein. I saw a video about the Rit dye too. I’ll be stalking the mail for my book to arrive. A lady in our longbow club said her husband used to do it so I might get some hands on instruction at some point. Becca sure did make it look easy but I knew better after watching what she was actually doing.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 09:11:56 pm »
CJ,
Get the shawl and Jacie really like it!  Hope to see pics of your quill work soon! 
Jerry (Hawkdancer)
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 09:12:58 pm »
PS:  sorry for taking so long token you know!
Jerry
Jerry

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 09:13:41 am »
Thank you, Jerry! I'm glad she liked it. Took me a bit longer to knit it up than I thought but I'm glad it made to you safely. Hopefully, at MOJAM I'll have some goodies made to show you.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 08:21:14 pm »
I know it's hard to spend much time doing any one thing at Pappy's but I told you to focus on what Becca was doing while you had the chance .
She is awesome and would have taken time to show you things you can't learn from a book
Anyway I know you will do well with this and can't wait to see your work !
Miss ya Girl
Hope to see ya soon
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !