Author Topic: Bamboo arrows with art  (Read 4120 times)

Offline NorthHeart

Bamboo arrows with art
« on: June 22, 2019, 07:05:15 pm »
Finished up a dozen bamboo arrows. Spine matched, weight matched, self nocks and turkey feathers. Art painted with acrylic then multiple clear coats. Sinew wrapped ends and nocks with TB3 glue then finally CA glue over that. Hope you like!

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Bamboo arrows with art
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 08:33:12 pm »
Aw heck yeah! Nice air holes!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 04:46:43 am »
Looks good. Congrats!
Are the weights with or without point?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 06:52:08 am »
Look good Northheart. I'm always interested in what people come up with for points. Do you have points on and if you do what did you use?  They look really nice.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 08:52:15 am »
I'm still trying to decide on the best points for narrow diameter bamboo shafts like this. I tend to prefer 150-200gr, with the idea that they will all weight in between 500-550gr or so. I plan to cut the arrows short enough that it wont be an overly weak spined arrow. 

With commercially available glue-on points, i find myself having to fill in the void with glue or epoxy, and it creates a lip which catches the face of bag targets upon removal(it also looks unsightly). And the smaller 1/4" points they sell are much too light. What if they made a variety pack of nice steel or brass points in different diameters but with different lengths so that they all weighed the same. I'm imagining something like a taper towards the back end of the point so they are easy to pull from targets.

I did buy a pack of 150gr duplex nails after seeing folks use this method, but i have a some concerns.  Will the sinew you bind it with need frequent replacing from target practice?  And when your ready to install stone points, halfted in steel trade points, or glue on broadheads, how would you do this?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 09:59:10 am »
I make and use cane arrows quite a bit. You shouldn't need to plug the point end of the cane. For commercial glue on points just taper the end with an abrasive type taperer like a belt or disc sander and not a blade type. For trades or stone I make a single saw cut where the head will go and open the cut to accept the point. With a trade point it doesn't take much past the saw cut. I use folded emery cloth for this but with stone you have to match the cut to the stone. I do it with a thin bladed knife(or razor) and emery cloth folded over and over until the slot is big enough for the point to not only fit but be adjusted so the arrow spins true.  Also I pre-taper my arrow shafts whether I use glue on, trade or stone points then proceed from there.
 With the sinew wrap at the point end you will probably have to reseal them after a few shots. Use super glue to seal them. it's pretty tough stuff.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 11:55:29 pm »
Another batch completed...

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 06:32:34 am »
That's a lot of arrows. I don't think I've made that many in my whole bowyer life. :)

Offline Woodely

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 08:35:32 am »
That's a lot of arrows. I don't think I've made that many in my whole bowyer life. :)
I have over 60,   lose some, break some, that's what shooting is all about.
Nice arrows North.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 03:05:35 pm »
When you say narrow diameter, how narrow is that? I have a bamboo clump to thin out but theres only narrow diameter stuff in there, but then I only draw 24" and am happy to shoot light 30 lb bows for target practice and am guessing theyd make wicked flight arrows too?

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 05:24:51 pm »
stuck- all of these bamboo shafts are smaller than a 5/16 wood shaft.  A mistake i made when starting bamboo arrows was using shafts that were twice as thick as what i needed. 

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 08:05:40 am »
Nice looking arrows

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 10:14:50 am »
Nice batch of arrows!  I like the art work!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline ohma2

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 07:07:39 am »
Nice arrows just enough decor to look great not gaudy.