Author Topic: Bow scale  (Read 2359 times)

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
Bow scale
« on: July 06, 2019, 03:59:49 pm »
For those that use a scale while bow building - what type do you prefer, dial, digital etc?

Offline DC

Re: Bow scale
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 04:17:48 pm »
I prefer an analog but I use a digital. Analog give instant results so when you're exercising a bow you know you're not overshooting. I found it hard to find a reasonably priced analog with a big enough face so my old eyes can see it. The only disadvantage to an analog is that they depend on stretching a spring so the scale gets longer as the weight goes up. This gets in the way when you're trying to do fdc's or measuring string tension.

Digitals take second or two to display the weight so the numbers you see when exercising a bow are kind of meaningless. They use batteries although I've had mine for a year or more and I'm still on the original. Some digitals require two or three button pushes to get to what you want.

I like this one. It's Chinese(what isn't) about 4" across, goes to 300#, one button push. $35 Can I think.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 04:20:15 pm »
You can buy a relatively cheap digital scale. Check out 3Rivers. They have them and they are sponsors of PA.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 04:26:00 pm »
 Dave,
           I use an old fashion spring type scale that I can hang a known weight from and check or adjust...I could never trust digital scales, just paranoid I guess...Digital might be fine...Bought this one years ago and can't change...
                                                                                                                                                               Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bassman

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 04:53:04 pm »
Nice tiller on that bow.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 10:36:01 pm »
I use a digital, mostly because I couldn't find an analog big enough to read with a "freeze" mode.  I think it is whatever works for you and your wallet.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Strichev

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 12:52:38 am »
How do you keep the scales from scmashing into the ground if the bow breaks? Another, shorter, loose rope attached that is short enough to prevent the scale from contacting the floor?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 01:12:30 am »
I prefer an analog but I use a digital. ...
;D >:D :BB
That's bowyers for ya'  ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 10:28:26 am »
Strichev,
That sounds like a good plan!  Mine hits the floor regularly without breaking a bow!  Or even being attached to a bow!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry