Author Topic: Cupping  (Read 2279 times)

Offline DC

Cupping
« on: June 24, 2019, 04:34:17 pm »
This splice was all ready to glue up. The riser fit nicely on the limbs. I decided to boil and clamp the splice just to get it a little nicer. The limbs cupped about 1/8". Is this cupping going to go away when it cools/dries? It's Plum if that matters.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Cupping
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 05:53:32 pm »
Just be guessing DC. I'd think if it still fit good it would go away after glueing and clamping.
I get the feeling your probably gonna let us know. ;)
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 06:17:10 pm »
The splice fit good but the riser had an 1/8" gap. I had to refit that. It looks like once it's cupped, it stays cupped. I wish my recurves were that stable.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 07:04:06 pm »
Well, if it is going to uncup, I hope the epoxy is stronger than the wood ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 07:24:13 pm »
I would guess it will stay cupped. You could probably steam it again and clamp it between 2 boards to remove the cupping.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 05:42:09 am »
I would glue up the splice and flatten the belly to level it again for the riser, no big deal. I add a risor to almost every set of billets I splice, I have never glued up a set of billets that matched on the belly. A trip to the belt sander solves that problem and gives me a flat surface to glue my handle section to.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 06:26:01 am »
Because lately I've been splicing deflex into my handles it's not easy to flatten it after the splice is done. I've been shaping the riser into a shallow "V" and gluing all three pieces together at once. Seems to work well. So I wanted to know ahead of time if the cup was going to haunt me later. I was hoping for an instant answer  ;D
 Sometimes it happens. Anyway it's all glued up :)

Offline Woodely

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 08:19:20 am »
Looks good,  if that was my bow I would of glued on a much thicker piece on the belly so as to get a pistol style grip and a shelf.   :)  :)   :)
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 08:24:28 am »
I would of glued on a much thicker piece on the belly so as to get a pistol style grip and a shelf.   :)  :)   :)
I don't use either ;D ;D

Offline Woodely

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 08:32:52 am »
Getting your Goat. :)
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 11:12:00 am »
I ain't got no goat ;D ;D ;D

I just reflexed one of the limbs and it cupped like mad. I've never seen this much in other woods I've done. I wonder if it's the Plum? I've got lots of thickness so it's not a problem but if I had/wanted to bend a finished limb it could be a problem.