Author Topic: Where to get goose feathers for english arrows  (Read 3829 times)

Offline Bootthrower

Where to get goose feathers for english arrows
« on: June 25, 2019, 03:20:48 pm »
I think the title pretty much covers my question! I want to start making my own arrows for an English warbow all from scratch, but I'm having trouble with finding suitable goose feathers. I've read that the fletchings should be around 7" long, but I can't seem to find many places where I can buy goose feathers of that length. If anyone knows a site or something where one can get goose feathers suitable for such fletchings it would be greatly appreciated! I live in Europe (Sweden) if that matters.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Where to get goose feathers for english arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 03:23:05 pm »
If you have parks in town with water you probably have geese. Now is about when they start molting so look around where geese hang out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Scyth

"Retirement is not a word in the dictionary of craftsmen
and I will carry on my work a long as I can . . . "

- Yang Fuxi

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 10:46:46 pm »
Northwest suburbs of Chgo . . . there's so many of 'em that they stop oncoming traffic as waddle from one side of streets to other. Residents would likely cheer ya on if "accidently" ran over few.
 ;)
Royal nuisance!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Bootthrower

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 05:26:30 pm »
Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I'll look around my local pond (lots of geese) and if that doesn't yield much then I'll check out that site further.

Offline Azmdted

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 05:46:12 pm »
They’re molting here in Maryland now.  Plenty of primary feathers on the ground. Due to migratory bird laws I can neither confirm nor deny if a few happened to find their way home with me.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 07:15:50 pm »
A warning if you please.....It is illegal to collect most feathers you may find, song birds, shore birds, etc. Fortunately most of the good fletching feathers are legal; turkeys and geese to name a few. So, be aware what you pick up. Could cost you $1000 a feather.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 09:40:09 pm »
As Pat B said, be sure you are legal in gathering!  Not sure if the game/hunting laws in Sweden, but here in the US, in general, if you can hunt them, you can have the feathers.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 06:51:59 am »
A warning if you please.....It is illegal to collect most feathers you may find, song birds, shore birds, etc. Fortunately most of the good fletching feathers are legal; turkeys and geese to name a few. So, be aware what you pick up. Could cost you $1000 a feather.

Actually Goose feathers are illegal here too. Along with Blackbird and crow which there's a season for (at least here in AL). I dare say though that there's almost no chance you'd get in trouble for having them, but still it's good to be aware.

Here's the complete US list: https://www.fws.gov/birds/management/managed-species/migratory-bird-treaty-act-protected-species.php 
Trevor

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 10:21:02 am »
In the UK the law is that if its farmed or hunted you can have it; if you can ABSOLUTELY prove with no possibility of any doubt that you found other species'  feathers you can have them but you would need to pay a pretty smart lawyer if you were prosecuted...

Offline Rjg

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 06:44:20 pm »
Just find where they are hanging spending time. They are molting right now and you can pick up the primaries with little effort. Parks, golf courses, etc are good places. Make sure you sort by right ans left wing.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 12:42:43 pm »
There's a good-size Jackdaw roost in the graveyard of our local church, literally dozens of perfect black wing feathers just lying there (well there were till I got there  ;) )

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2019, 02:24:17 pm »
Looks like they are killing them in Sweden and probably throwing that part away. You just need to speak with some of the hunters.
https://www.getducks.com/hunts/sweden-goose-hunting/
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Bootthrower

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2019, 03:13:24 pm »
That is a great idea Archeryrob! Why didn't I think of contacting a proper hunter!