Author Topic: Folding saws  (Read 1937 times)

Offline DC

Folding saws
« on: June 26, 2019, 10:09:11 am »
I'm thinking of buying a folding saw. What brand would you guys recommend? Keep in mind price and performance. I've seen the common brand names for about $20 but then I see Silkies for $50 or more. Are these premium ones really worth the extra bucks?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Folding saws
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 11:57:33 am »
DC, it depends on how much you'll use it. Doing landscape work I had 2 different brands, both equally as good as the other. My first was a Felco and I think the other is a Svandik (sp). Both should be available at local horticultural supply or nursery supply, maybe even a big box store. They both have the Japanese style cut both-way blades, one has a trigger blade release and lock the other just folds but you can lock it open. Mine have about an 8" blade and some are 14" or so. I prefer the smaller ones. Fit easily in your pocket.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Woodely

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 12:36:49 pm »
I had a cheap one and it snapped in 2 with little effort.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Azmdted

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 12:38:06 pm »
I've been using a Corona 10" Razortooth from Lowes and it has handled juniper, oak, manzanita and everything else with ease.  I will say though that the tip broke off in the Juniper I was cutting.  I was moving it quick and the tree weight caught it and snapped it off.  No biggie, I didn't use that last inch and half and don't miss it.  I can't speak to longevity or pitfalls compared to a $50 one, but it's light, under $20, has a good safety latch and has cut everything I've asked it to.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 12:50:00 pm »
Cheap saws are just that. If they don't break they will hurt you, often times. The harder you have to push/pull to cut the more likely you "get it" one day. I would suggest a higher quality saw. I have a few cheap saw scars on my left hand. The difference between a $20 saw and $50-60 saw wont break most banks.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 06:20:03 pm »
Silky seems to get near unanimous thumbsup from the online bushcraft community.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 09:46:51 pm »
Are any of these sharpenable? Or is it throw away blades?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 09:59:04 am »
You can resharpen the Japanese push/pull saws with a triangular file but they usually stay pretty sharp even after heavy use. If you try to saw too fast in hard wood the blade can heat up some and I think in some of those instances I think the teeth loose set rather than getting dull. Be sure tio wear good gloves. Those blades will cut to the bone before you know it(from experience). 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline slowbowjoe

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 07:00:26 pm »
I have a Silky and a Wicked saw, also a cheap Coughlan's. The Silky is very well made, feels good in the hand, and cuts clean and fast (I think it's the medium teeth). I've had the lock release a couple of times when I choke up on the handle, and the blade is VERY flexi. I guess the thin blade helps the cut, but it sometimes needs a tweak by hand to straighten it.
The Wicked is easily the strongest and most durable. The lock is easy and totally positive. The blade is solid. It cuts neither as clean nor as fast as the Silky, but it's a better workhorse. I only use the cheap one if none of the others are around.