Author Topic: Inspired by Rodney Wright's Firehawk: Osage and Hickory setback/recurve  (Read 21122 times)

Offline david w.

Re: Inspired by Rodney Wright's Firehawk: Osage and Hickory setback/recurve
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 12:25:22 am »
thatis  a FINE bow. i like it
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

radius

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 12:39:19 am »
Thanks!  Did you check out the clip on youtube?

radius

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 12:44:43 am »
This one's 35# or so at 28".

I am working on another one, got it nearly tillered today and then POP!  delam!  You should have heard me:  "Aaah!"

The 2nd version is 50# .  I got it to 50# at 17" when it popped.  So I put a ton of epoxy in the gap and squeezed 'er good...tomorrow or the next day I'll get at it.  I want to get it finished by the weekend, because the archery rep from the hunting store is going to take it up to a shoot and show it off.  Can't very well give her one that's going to open up at the handle!  And I want to demonstrate that I can build a bow to order, in short order.

Thanks for the positive support. 

grantmac

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 04:00:27 am »
What shoot is going on this weekend? I went to a 3D last weekend and I thought the next was on the 4th of May?
BTW, that bow is looking fantastic! I wish I knew how to splice like that, I'm very length limited.
     Cheers,
             Grant

P.S. Where did you find the Yew?

radius

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 04:24:02 am »
Grant, there's a store called Westwind Hardwoods in Sidney near the airport.  It's really close to Slegg's.  I bought a great piece, but they have a lot.  Pretty gnarly stuff, but there's a piece 6 feet long, 3 inches thick, 5 inches wide...you could get enough laminations out of that to build a lot of bows.  All heartwood, but quite a few knots.  That's why i didn't pick it.

I cut over 40 laminations today.  Half are 33 inches long.  Half are 38 inches long.  I still have 3 chunks of wood, good for about 30 more lams 33 inches long. 

You don't have a table saw do you?  Is that why you don't cut your own hickory?

Each 4 laminations is 1 bow.  2 belly, 2 core, and 1 hickory or ash on the back.  So now, I've gotta build risers!  I've got alot on the go here, man!  I better finish the bows i'm working on, and then get back to the yew.

Thanks for the good word.

grantmac

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 05:13:14 pm »
No table saw here, I have to borrow the use of a friends. The only power tool I have is a bench sander.

I don't think I'll go get any Yew at Westwind, I'm having too much fun with the Ipe I found. It's great wood but the dust drives me around the bend.

So your going into production these days? Good for you, Chek-mate needs some competition in BC. Best bet is to get your bows out to as many 3D events as possible, preferably winning ;D

Cheers,
         Grant

radius

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 10:15:30 pm »
Thanks Grant,

Yeah the guys at Island Outfitters say Chekmate doesn't always come through.  I think once i get the ball rolling, i can turn out a completed bow every day. 

I'm not sure what shoot is happening this weekend.  Joanne at Island Outfitters mentioned it.  I think it must be Sunday, cuz she's working Saturday...

Offline Jefficus

I'm really new to this, how do you tiller a laminated build like this? Aren't the laminations too thin to take a surform or something to the back? Do you narrow the sides by sanding instead? If so how do you deal with hinges etc without making a bow with wavy sides on the limbs? Or can merely sanding the 1/8" belly material adequately tiller? I've been wondering how to do this for a while, I'd love to make one. Please share your wisdom!

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
I'm diggin' this bow. Very nice!!!
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%