Author Topic: My Hudson Bay trade knife  (Read 2917 times)

Offline Sidmand

My Hudson Bay trade knife
« on: July 08, 2019, 11:51:35 am »
Been working on a new knife for myself - 9 inch blade, about 14 inches overall.  5160 steel at a hair under 1/4 inch thick.  Katalox (Mexican Royal Ebony) handles with brass bolsters and hand made/machined loveless style bolts (they are about 1/2 inch, the rod is a 1/4 rod I had to cut threads in with a 1/4x28 die).  The sheath is 6 to 8 ounce leather with artificial sinew and carpet tacks drove into 1/16 inch rivet for the backing.  I will put a drop of superglue in each base later when I can get some more superglue ;).

This will be my everything knife for a while - I still have some of the 5016 bar stock left and will make a smaller skinner with it at some point.  This is the 2nd knife I have made - I didn't forge in the bevels or shape but I did use my forge to heat treat it.  It is hard and VERY sharp, but still needs final honing and stropping.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline DC

Re: My Hudson Bay trade knife
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 02:21:55 pm »
Points not skinny enough to pick my teeth or clean my fingernails but other than that I love everything about it :D :D

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 02:28:24 pm »
YEA BUDDY!
love it.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 03:20:03 pm »
Nice!  I like it!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 06:08:43 pm »
That's a beast of a knife.  Very cool!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 06:10:00 am »
Thanks all!  I am considering putting a false edge on the tip to make it a little less forward heavy, but I'm not entirely sold on the idea yet.  Maybe I will just use it for a while and then adjust accordingly after I get a feel for it.  I wanted it to at least look historically accurate and the originals didn't have a false edge that I could tell.  I tried to use walnut for the handle scales, but I screwed it up twice and ran out of walnut.  I found a local specialty lumber store that sold that Katalox and it looked nice, so I bought a 10 dollar board of it.  I briefly wondered if I could make a bow out of it, but I don't think it is flexible enough.  I know it is crazy hard though, harder than Ipe!

Those bolts were a giant pain - I started out just trying to use 1/4-20 brass bolts and hex nuts, but the nuts were to thin and the thread to coarse so when I went to grind it flat it ate through the nut and it popped off the screw shaft.  My Dad worked in the mines and give me a big piece of "brass" that they used as shims for continuous miners.  I say "brass" cause I figured out pretty quick it was an alloy with some kind of ferrous metal in it - brass isn't supposed to be magnetic or that dadgum hard!  But, the sheet was 7/8 inch thick, so I cut squares out of it and then tapped the squares with a 1/4 X 28 die, then rounded them off to 1/2 inch diameter on the grinder and with a file.  took a bit and there was some cursing and rework, but it came out looking pretty cool to me.

I was surprised at the shine I could get on 5160, I didn't expect it to shine up that well at all. 
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline BlackHillsScout

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 07:36:21 pm »
Real nice! I really like the Hudson Bay knife

Offline Mountain Man1

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 03:16:17 am »
That is a gorgeous blade! The handle looks a bit small for me, but I've got pretty big mitts. How does it feel in the hand?