Author Topic: A continuing problem  (Read 5545 times)

Offline Badger

Re: A continuing problem
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2019, 01:01:33 pm »
  I am not sure how many of this type of bow Mark has made from osage but I suspect it would really shine in this design.

bownarra

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2019, 03:37:41 pm »
Yes I noticed ;)
I meant more deflex. The other points I mentioned are also key on this design.

Offline DC

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2019, 03:59:12 pm »
11° seems to be the magic number for me. I may try more on my next experiment but that would be getting to the point of no difference between braced and unbraced.

Offline Badger

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2019, 11:24:47 pm »
11° seems to be the magic number for me. I may try more on my next experiment but that would be getting to the point of no difference between braced and unbraced.

I am kind of thinking as I type so I might be wrong here. But I would think with 11 degrees it would have a strong tendency to bend first right out of the fade so the wood would be a bit thicker in that area, a little more taper in thickness. The thicker wood could not bend as far as the thinner wood so it would work out ideal for not taking set and taking advantage of the low string angles that are maintained longer when a bow bends out of the fades. Really the best design there is I think.

Offline sleek

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2019, 11:32:50 pm »

I am kind of thinking as I type so I might be wrong here. But I would think with 11 degrees it would have a strong tendency to bend first right out of the fade so the wood would be a bit thicker in that area, a little more taper in thickness. The thicker wood could not bend as far as the thinner wood so it would work out ideal for not taking set and taking advantage of the low string angles that are maintained longer when a bow bends out of the fades. Really the best design there is I think.

Certainly is the conclusion that I have come to after years of building shirt bows and studying them. The merits, reasons, science, and techniques of how to build them is what I'm taking notes on for the book I was talking to you about Steve.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 11:36:44 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

bownarra

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2019, 12:30:59 am »

That's what I just said :)

bownarra

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2019, 12:39:17 am »

So what would you do if that was the case?
We appear to be going in circles haha, I have told you how to maximize this design :) Do what I've said and you will get the most out of this design. I think I made my first of these type of bows around 4 years ago and there have been quite a few since. The elm bow I quoted above is pretty much a perfected version of this design that incorporates all the things I have mentioned and i'll say it again - 185 with 10.5gpp @ 27 inch draw. I would have thought those numbers would speak for themselves ;)

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2019, 09:00:41 am »
Bownarra those are great numbers without a doubt.? . I agree with the deflex relieving the compression on the inner limbs that forms set. But also what deflex is put into the limb takes some cast away. A straight limb bow with reflex that does not take set should store more energy. Correct me if I am wrong! Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline sleek

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2019, 10:20:08 am »

We appear to be going in circles haha, I have told you how to maximize this design :) Do what I've said and you will get the most out of this design. I think I made my first of these type of bows around 4 years ago and there have been quite a few since. The elm bow I quoted above is pretty much a perfected version of this design that incorporates all the things I have mentioned and i'll say it again - 185 with 10.5gpp @ 27 inch draw. I would have thought those numbers would speak for themselves ;)

Those are rookie numbers. You gadda get those numbers up.

Offline DC

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2019, 10:39:39 am »

I'm listening and I appreciate your advise. I just have to try things. It's in my nature.

Offline sleek

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2019, 11:32:52 am »

I'd like to see this bow you mentioned. Also, what are its stats?

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2019, 02:13:10 pm »
Very interesting!
Just had the same with poor ringed BL, I braced it higher and higher and lost more and more reflex...
Very good thoughts here, helped me to continue - seem to stabilize now.