Author Topic: quite an experience  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
quite an experience
« on: July 04, 2019, 07:32:20 pm »
Yesterday I was on our daily walk with my 2 dogs, Maggie and Rosie. We walk down our driveway(1800', 200'elev) at least once a day. We were heading back up towards the house when I caught a flash in my eye and both dogs took off. I realized it was a small fawn. I reached it just as the dogs nocked it down. Grabbed the fawn and clutch it to my chest while trying to control the dogs. I made my way to the creek where I heard movement in the bushes from Mom. I crossed the creek(3' banks) and set the fawn down. She took off I assume with Mom.
 To hold a days old fawn so closely was quite an experience. I'm only glad I was there.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

Re: quite an experience
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 07:33:57 pm »
That is awesome
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 02:16:09 am »
Good save... :)
I remember when my kids were young.. my daughter, being youngest would complain that she never saw things first or found the exciting stuff... then one day we were walking through some scrubby woodland and she virtually trod on a fawn which was hunkered down in a hazel coppice stool... dunno which was more shocked  :o ::) ;D... it darted off through the woods. She stood frozen...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 03:42:47 am »
There's a bunch of em around here now. Yesterday I was driving my tractor down lane next to wheat field. I could see all the small circle beds in the wheat and was just thinking gotta be a fawn or two here. Just then I saw a small fawn look at my tractor as it laid there about ten yards to the side of it. When I went back out the lane a little latter it had moved to a different location. They are pretty amazing how well they can just blend in to most any surroundings. How tight they'll hold up when danger is so near.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Piddler

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 02:25:00 pm »
Had a little one on my place about a month ago. He wasn't even real steady when I first saw it. Saw it about a week later. There is an old doe who raises one there every year. Almost stepped on one last year. Pretty neat if you ask me.
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 01:00:39 am »
Good job "Deer Whisperer" ! :-D :OK - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 11:25:45 am »
My grandparents found a fawn without its mother and it looked starved, so of course they gave it some milk and it came back every day for breakfast and dinner untill one day it didnt come back. I hope it was just too old now for milk and went on its own.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 12:39:21 pm »
NEXT TIME bear cub      LOL
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 04:13:55 pm »
Good for you Pat, had the same thing happen several years back with my old mountain cur Saddie, she jumped one while we were out on the practice range and ran it down, thank goodness Jesse was with me and was fast enough to get her off the fawn, I picked it up and got it to stand and in a few minutes once it got it strength and head back together it took off. :) Not sure how old it was but we guessed about a week or so. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 07:34:01 pm »
I live in the Texas Hill Country where deer are like ants. There just every where. Can’t plant shrubs or flowers because there eaten before morning. We love them all the same. Some few years ago a doe with a crippled fawn was in my back yard. The fawn could stand but toppled over when it tried to walk. We looked after the little fellow for a few days, keeping the dogs away and providing shade. Keeping the fire ants off. Mom stayed around and nursed it so that was good, but we were certain it wouldn’t survive long. But after a week or two it was still around. It couldn’t really walk much at all, but it could run fairly well. Something wrong in its front shoulder. Painful to watch it try and stay with it’s mom. But it seemed to manage somehow. We watched it for months. And then years. It grew into a nice little buck.  The disability was obvious but somehow he just fought his way through it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 07:47:06 pm »
SLIMBOB That's an awesome story man!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others