Author Topic: material from China, broke on me  (Read 7238 times)

Offline 1442

material from China, broke on me
« on: July 07, 2019, 12:51:23 am »
This is imported material that was working well.
I didn't support the whole length of it when I tried to take a small flake near the tip and end snapped it.
Superglued it back together

Offline 1442

Re: material from China, broke on me
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 12:56:49 am »
here's some more
The G town had a crack and I just barely got worked past it and was real close to the other side by then. It broke due to lack of support again when I started to bevel the edge to work the other side.

I don't know why the smaller one broke

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 11:44:31 am »
I hate it when they fold like that..
I have always wanted to “ Knap the world “

I have knapped materials from 6 of the 7 continents & several countries within.. I’m just having problems finding stone from Antarctica
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 02:42:35 pm »
I hate it when they fold like that..
I have always wanted to “ Knap the world “

I have knapped materials from 6 of the 7 continents & several countries within.. I’m just having problems finding stone from Antarctica

Knapp a glacier.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 04:42:16 pm »
Is that Chinese thunder chert 1442? It was coming along nicely.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline 1442

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 06:05:19 am »
Yep BJ, Chinese thunder chert.
Most stuff I work on aint labeled like that

Tower, That is why I will never go to Antarctica if I can help it. They are not stoned up there I guess is the only good way I can see to look at that without being negative about it.
Maybe get bjrogg to go up there over the weekend with one of his tractors  and dig you some up. Should be easy enough

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 01:44:27 pm »
The stone is there, ya just have to work a little harder to get it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Tower

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 05:04:20 am »
That’s a long drive there.  I hope his tractor has a large fuel tank.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 06:01:46 am »

It's got a pretty big fuel tank, but it doesn't float so good.lol. Maybe if you took a hot water power washer there you could tunnel your way to the stone. I remember seeing a magazine article where they recovered a P-38 from world war 2. The crew had made a emergency landing on a glacier I believe. The people doing the recovery thought it would be simple. Just find it fuel it up a little service work and fly it away. Ended up it was buried under something like 200' of snow. They used a hot water power washer to get down to it. The plane had lots of damage from being crushed by the snow. They did recover it one piece at a time. I don't know if they ever got it flying again.
Bjrogg

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 08:05:57 am »

It's got a pretty big fuel tank, but it doesn't float so good.lol. Maybe if you took a hot water power washer there you could tunnel your way to the stone. I remember seeing a magazine article where they recovered a P-38 from world war 2. The crew had made a emergency landing on a glacier I believe. The people doing the recovery thought it would be simple. Just find it fuel it up a little service work and fly it away. Ended up it was buried under something like 200' of snow. They used a hot water power washer to get down to it. The plane had lots of damage from being crushed by the snow. They did recover it one piece at a time. I don't know if they ever got it flying again.
Bjrogg

That aircraft had a Discovery channel episode made on it and yes, she flies. Her name is Glacier Girl, and it's an amazing story.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 09:18:21 am »
Thats cool Sleek. Thanks for letting me know. I just love the lines of a P-38. Even more than a P-51 but their all beautiful.
I remember seeing one on recovering I think a B-29. I think it took them two years and then they ended up having a Auxiliary Power Unit tip over catching to the entire plane. Guess she just didn't want to leave.
Bjrogg

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 11:52:12 am »
Thats cool Sleek. Thanks for letting me know. I just love the lines of a P-38. Even more than a P-51 but their all beautiful.
I remember seeing one on recovering I think a B-29. I think it took them two years and then they ended up having a Auxiliary Power Unit tip over catching to the entire plane. Guess she just didn't want to leave.
Bjrogg

That one was a tragedy full of procedural errors and bad luck. The job was rushed due to funding and weather, a guy got sick and had to be flown out. They filled the tires with propane because they had nothing else to use. The rear generator wasn't fastened properly,  and when it shook loose, the fuel caught fire, spreading faster than controllable through the fuselage.  One guy had all his tools back there and that's not a cheap collection.  All they could do was watch it burn while they sat in lawn chairs. The ice melted that su..or and the remnants sank. However, I know where you ca get some very low hour high horse power radial engines for  cheap... lol Just need a dry suit and scuba gear...

I hated watching that beautiful bird burn. They should have let it sit a season and  come back. They are lucky that didnt happen in the air.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 01:34:14 pm »
Yup it sure was sad. If I remember correctly the first year they couldn't get engines running correctly? The one guy got really sick. The next year they had a WW2 mechanic get them running like a top.
 Hey sorry we got way off China thunder chert 1442, but I'm am enjoying chatting with Sleek about these old planes and the amazing amount of work some people will go through to recover and restore them.
Bless them
Bjrogg

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 05:47:37 pm »
Yup it sure was sad. If I remember correctly the first year they couldn't get engines running correctly? The one guy got really sick. The next year they had a WW2 mechanic get them running like a top.
 Hey sorry we got way off China thunder chert 1442, but I'm am enjoying chatting with Sleek about these old planes and the amazing amount of work some people will go through to recover and restore them.
Bless them
Bjrogg

It used to be a dream of mine to restore war birds for museums and the Confederate Airforce.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 06:09:51 pm »
A lot of very unique skills to learn there to.
Bjrogg