Author Topic: Tree id  (Read 4556 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Tree id
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2019, 07:59:35 pm »
I thought ash to , but I don't have hickory so not sure about it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2019, 08:50:35 pm »
Bark looks like Bitternut Hickory.   Ash  bark has a softer quality to it.  Bitternut bark kind of looks and feels like a typical rough sinew backing.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2019, 07:02:07 am »
I don't know but I live in eastern PA and all the ash around here is dead or dying from the ash borer. Maybe it hasn't hit western PA as bad.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2019, 07:10:24 am »
I say it's hickory.  Pignut (or Mockernut maybe?).  That sapling would make a Great bendy handle bow!!  Cherokee style flatbow, or maybe something like a Sudbury where the handle is rigid but not too high. 

For those suggesting Pecan: Pecan is not very common that far north (Pennsylvania right?), and its compound leaves have many more leaflets (To me it looks kinda like a wimpy Black Walnut leaf, they're both usually much longer and have more leaflets than hickories).  Also the bark on pecan is usually rougher looking from what I remember living in Tallahassee and Quincy, FL, where it was/is very commonly planted in rural areas.
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)

Offline PatM

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 07:26:14 am »
Bitternut is in the "Pecan"  part of the Hickory family.   They even form hybrids although other hickories less closely related will also cross.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2019, 07:36:48 am »
The leaves AND bark look like our Ash here. Does not look at all like our Pecan.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2019, 07:48:13 am »
Bitternut hickory(Carya cordiformis) and pecan (C. illinoensis) are 2 different species of hickory. This is from Michael A. Dirr's, "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants" a textbook from my horticultural studies. He also says that the bitternut nuts are so bitter that squirrels prefer other hickories over them.
 We don't have enough ash trees here for me to to be familiar with and the few that are here have been attacked by the emerald ash bore.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rps3

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2019, 05:17:07 am »
I cant say for sure what it is, but I live in sw pa also and most large ash are dead, but I can still find a good many that size still alive.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2019, 05:47:40 pm »
Slice a small stem and see if it is spotted. Thats how I tell between ash and hickory

Offline PatM

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2019, 06:17:51 pm »
An end cut of the wood will also answer.  I still think it's hickory.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2019, 08:41:41 pm »
again... Maple, Ash, and Dogwood have opposite branching... hickory is alternate.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2019, 04:29:15 pm »
It has opposite branches so ash. Now to determine if it will make a bow. It has a whitish under the leaves so I'm thinking its white ash. Anyone agree?