Author Topic: Slow and long road to bow making  (Read 1172 times)

Offline piotref1

Slow and long road to bow making
« on: July 14, 2019, 05:47:26 am »
Hello again o/
It's been a year since I wrote here last time.. And it Will be probably another year until I start work on my black locust but I will keep this as main topic for it :P

Last year I split one of the logs of black locust I've cut.. And my "luck" struck again. After splitting it looks like it had grown around itself because there's spot that looks basically like bark.

Halves of log are 10x5cm / 2x4inches.. So I doubt it's good idea to make it into quarters.

I hope to do some shaping today and tomorrow.. So it's time to go roughing it down.. Or making shaving horse. And thinking how far I want to go on first bow I make.

Any tips will be helpful and I will see if I can take some wood with me to work on it when away in college city.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Slow and long road to bow making
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 06:54:59 am »
It depends on where in the stave the knot is. Remove the bark and sapwood and see what you have left. You might be able to get billets or at least one billet from it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline piotref1

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 08:01:25 am »
It's Cut at around 2m/6.5foot. I will lose small portion and it should still be viable.. If not. Another log to split! ^ ^ I've got some thin-ish hazel cut too. 5cm/2 inches diameter or so. Will be good learning material if nothing else.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 08:09:43 am »
Will you post a pic of the whole stave showing where the knot is? Show it from a couple of different angles so we can have a complete pic of the knot and it's locality.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 11:11:14 am »
The trick is to always cut or obtain more staves than you need, that way you will soon accumulate a stash of seasoned timber, which you can then trade for different species of wood etc.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.