Author Topic: Hide glue use  (Read 2460 times)

Offline DC

Hide glue use
« on: July 11, 2019, 01:13:52 pm »
When hide glue gels does it stop being sticky? I can't tell for sure if it's gelled so i can clamp it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hide glue use
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 02:10:31 pm »
Once it's gelled and skinned over it shouldn't be sticky. About when to clamp whatever, I can't help you.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 09:04:05 pm »
     Hide glue will gel in minutes/seconds actually, depending on the application...I have had it jell to quickly while laying sinew down in low humidity/AC in the house and had to work fast...It's amazing how climate effects hide glue...For me, lay the glue and clamp or comb immediately...Working in a high humidity environment will help slow things down and is my practice now...What are you clamping?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 08:15:24 am »
I'm gluing the grip to limb "V" joint on my horn bow. It seemed to go well. The instructions in Adams book say to heat both parts and apply 5 coats of sizing, letting it dry between coats, then heat it again and apply a heavy coat and stick the parts together. Hold it until it gells. Well with the heated parts it takes a long time to gell. I'm thinking that maybe the heating is a cold weather thing and if the parts are already 75°f maybe heating isn't necessary.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 10:29:20 am »
  Sounds like he means just to heat the sized surface enough to "liquify" the glue then apply a heavy coat sticking the parts together...Sizing is very important and the heat helps the glue to penetrate the pores...Post some pics Don, sounds interesting...Hide glue is amazing!
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 08:13:41 am »
I'm also a little confused by this statement "First, 10-15% glue (the type that gels well)" from Adam's book. I made some 10% glue from my best glue. At 35% this stuff gels very quickly. At 10% it has to get pretty cool to gel(or at least so I can see it gel)  Is he meaning 10% glue that gels well or is he meaning a 10% glue made from the stuff that normally(35%) gels well?

Sounds like he means just to heat the sized surface enough to "liquify" the glue then apply a heavy coat sticking the parts together...Sizing is very important and the heat helps the glue to penetrate the pores...Post some pics Don, sounds interesting...Hide glue is amazing!
I've found that once the glue is dry no reasonable amount of heat will liquefy it. It just gets drier. If the glue is just gelled then it will liquefy. I've been checking the temp of things and the glue gels at about 70°f ish so when everything in the shop is 75° it gets kind of slow. What do people do in Arizona? I keep wondering if I should be making a better batch of glue. Have you ever seen a site that ranks hide glue by gel temp.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 09:26:13 am »
 Don,
         I seen some info a while back on violin making but that was a deep rabbit hole I went down online...If I find it again I will send it to you...It was more about ratio

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 09:42:40 am »
There might be a luthier in your area who can provide some gluing advise.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 10:03:18 am »
     Humidity is a big factor in gel time...Before laying sinew I will turn my AC off here in SC...It gives me more working time in high humidity...

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 11:05:49 am »
It's about 60%RH here now.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 02:36:54 pm »
I've made three batches of hide glue. The pile on the right is from two of them. Nice and clear, slightly different color, it works good. The other batch on the left turned out cloudy, even after filtering. It doesn't seem greasy and it seems to work but I don't know whether to trust it or not. Has anyone used cloudy glue like this and been happy?

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 11:45:21 am »
Does hide glue have to gel to give a strong joint? Let's assume that the glue gels at 70°f. If we heated everything up to 80°f, glued and clamped it and let it dry, would it make a decent joint? I'm just wondering about gluing in hot weather. I noticed when I was sizing a joint and drying it with the heat gun that it dried without gelling. Made me think.