Author Topic: flawless backing a-long  (Read 3003 times)

Offline DC

Re: flawless backing a-long
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 02:25:20 pm »
Why don't you run the log through the bandsaw? Too heavy I guess.

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 02:44:44 pm »
This is fascinating!! There's no way to do this with hand tools is there?  I don't have bandsaws or belt sanders, YET.
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2019, 03:27:35 pm »
This is fascinating!! There's no way to do this with hand tools is there?  I don't have bandsaws or belt sanders, YET.

Of course it can be done with hand tools.   You can just split staves and then split piggy-back staves from them and reduce with hatchet and rasp.

I have no power tools either.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 06:40:28 pm »
Pat's absolutely right, and I bet you could get a more even thickness with hand tools as well. If you decide to give it a try, I would suggest giving yourself plenty of wood to start with. The grain rules supreme when you're splitting by hand.  (W

Way too heavy Don, and it wouldn't lay flat on the table. I can't tell you how many bandsaw blades I've ruined by attempting to run uneven and/or too-heavy pieces through the machine. That's why I run one side through the jointer before I go to the bandsaw. There has to be a totally flat edge against the table.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2019, 05:43:28 am »
That is a new one on me and I like it, I have hickory backing fail on me on a regular basis, this one won't fail.

If I made one I would do my final thinning on my belt sander with a 36 grit belt like I thin bamboo. I use the edge thickness as a guide to keep the bamboo perfectly even.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2019, 06:21:00 am »
Yes Eric exactly! I had enough failures with regular backing strips that I decided to give this a try. And you're right, this backing will not fail. I even them out just as you described, on the belt sander like bamboo.  :OK
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2019, 06:50:22 am »
I always thought of trying to make a backing like this.  I just had too many questions and never tried it.  Thanks for showing us this process!

Are you able to do anything with the rest of the log?

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2019, 06:38:22 pm »
My pleasure Ben. Your forward handle bow taught me a ton and I've been meaning to thank you for that. Got a few in the works right now, so thank you my friend!

As for the rest of the log...  (=) -C- )P(

Nigerian Proverb